Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've built a kit car that has a steering column with no turn signal switch built in so the turn signals are on separate toggle switches. How do I wire in the brake light switch so the brake lights work corretly? :confused: Thanks!
Smokey

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
smokey626 said:
Ok, I've built a kit car that has a steering column with no turn signal switch built in so the turn signals are on separate toggle switches. How do I wire in the brake light switch so the brake lights work corretly? :confused: Thanks!
Smokey
You will probably have to install diodes in the turn signal wiring to eliminate "back feeding" from the brake light switch. If the turn signals are on seperate toggle switches, you will need two diodes. These will need to be placed somewhere between the brake light and the toggle switches. Once you do that, terminate the wire from the brake light switch "after" the diodes. If you could attach a diagram of what you have, it would be helpful.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a diagram but think a hot wire to the switch, a wire from the power out to the flasher then from the flasher out to the lights. I see where you're going with the diode, I hadn't thought of that. I bet that's the way I'm gonna have to go.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
switch..

i ran into the same problem when building my T... used the toggle sw for blinkers.. i also used 2 lites.. amber for sig's and the red for bks.. i got the sig's at a truck stop. ALOT easier to use 2 separate lights.. i think speedway has a signal unit that self cancels.. well someone i know makes them...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't use DPDT switches because I didn't have any on hand. I don't want to change them out just yet because the switches are in the dash and the dash is already put back in. I'd be looking at another 2-3 hours to get the dash out, changes switches etc. I may have to change over if the diodes don't work out but I'm not gonna do that first.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
They would wire in the place of the DPDT switches, in the above diagram, and your SP existing switches would fire the relay(s)......... Now if it were mine and I was going to use toggles for turn signals........... I'd use a single toggle, On-Off-On, to control four bosh type SPST relays. I'd use the bosh, due to the availability, cost and connecter ease

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here's a simple diagram using two bosch relays and two diodes with an on-off-on toggle switch. It could be easily modified to use two separate on-off toggle switches.

The 1N4001 diode is a 1-amp, which will probably work, or you could substitute a 1N5404 which is a 3-amp, which would be my preference. Both are available at Radio Shack.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I haven't tested this, so a bench mock up might be in order....... but I think this is the way I would do it. If anyone finds a flaw, please post.

One possible issue.....will the relay coils provide enough draw to let the flashers cycle properly, might have to use electronic flashers

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very cool, Hoptup and EOD! These are great diagrams and it looks like I'll be changing out to the off-on-off switch set-up so the last switch on the panel can go to something else, prolly the trans cooler fan. Thanks again!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, absolutely, I will! The schematics look sound but better to be safe than sorry! Where is a good place to get the Bosch relays? I have O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Carquest and NAPA here in Mankato, and not one carries Bosch.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, we should have said "Bosch style" relays. The Bosch style relays generally refer to a relay with the five terminals labeled 85, 86 30, 87 & 87A. There are numerous brands of this type of relay, they all generally operate on the same principle. NAPA may carry the best quality relay over the other stores.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I understood Bosch style meant any 5 pin but I too like Bosch relays and I use them for door poppers and power windows quite a bit but since I've moved to MN from the west coast, I have to find new parts sources. I found some online that will be here in a day or 2. Also, that second diagram is slick as snot, as my Pop used to say. That's going to make it extremely easy to wire in the brake switch and turn signals in a tidy little package. Once again this forum has saved my butt, I hope to be able to return the favor someday! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Sorry, I bench tested mine and it has issues...... the flasher circuit provided feed back and all four flashed with the turn sig. It also wouldn't work with the OEM flasher, an electronic flasher worked very well.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.