Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please explain to me what all is involved in making the brake lights on my 58 chevy apache work, starting from the brake switch?

I know what a switch and a relay are, thats about it. Think wiring for dummies :confused:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Rathimis,

If your truck has factory turn-signals here is how the power gets to the brake lights.

Battery voltage passes through a fuse and then into the brake light switch.
Here is where it gets a little mind twisting.

When you step on the brake pedal the brake light switch allows voltage to go up through the turn signal switch, and as long as you are not turning, this voltage just passes through to the rear brake light bulbs.
Now if you are turning "right" then the brake light voltage is canceled form going to the right rear light bulb in the turn signal switch. But still allows brake voltake to go the the left rear light bulb.
The turn signal voltage is put into the wires that go to the right front turn light and the right rear turn light and passes through the "flasher" so the two lights flash.

I hope this helps
Scholman

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks scholman,
I was hoping it that wasn't how it was supposed to go :drunk:
There is a Ford steering column in my truck. Even if I knew how to hook that up, I wouldn't want to at this point becuase the steering column is bad and need replaced.

Is there anyway I can bypass the turn signal switch until I replace the steering column? I really need to be able to drive this thing soon and could care less about turn signals. I just need brake lights.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.