Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 32 Roadster with the power brake master cylinder under the floor. I'm having an issue with the brakes where they begin to drag after about 5 minutes of driving. I noticed that there is no residual valves in the brake lines? could this be the issue?

· Registered
85 Posts
Hi there
The first thing I would do is find out exactly what's dragging, all wheels, front, rear, or just one wheel? The way I do this is to drive your rod till the brake start to drag, then jump out and check the wheel temps with a inferred gun, this will pinpoint which (or all) wheels are sticking. Remeber to stop the car before jumping out:thumbup:

The residual valves that I know of would make things worse as their job is to hold a little bit of pressure in the braking system...its been along time since I have seen them used, so I can't comment for sure :confused:

Do you know which/how many wheel are dragging? Have you checked it? I have seen everything from bad m/c to brake lines cause this issue.

Regards

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its definitely front brakes that begin dragging after a short drive. I figure it could be the exhaust being to close the master and booster. Its only 1/2 inch from the booster and just over an inch from the master. I'm going to wrap the exhaust with header wrap and see if it continues. I will get the pipe moved slightly at a muffler shop.

· Registered
8,315 Posts
I would lean first towards the master cylinder push rod being adjusted out too far, holding the MC spool from retracting completely. There should be a very small amount of play. Also along that line, your pedal is routed though the floor and may not be returning easily (carpet or floor board drag also possible). Then the MC may be internally snug. There are aftermarket return springs you can add - here's one I dug out BRAKE PEDAL RETURN SPRING KIT | Hot Rods by Dean

Yes, you should have residual valves in the lines for a below the floor MC

As far as exhaust being a 1/2" from the booster - mine is as well, but have not had a problem in 4 years of driving the car:

Dave W

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.