Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to remove the rear brake drums on my 1938 Hudson. I have tried a slide hammer, but don't know if this the correct way. I thing the drum hub is tappered and just stuck but don't know for sure, any info would be helpful. Thanks Rob :)

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
Hi Bad, welcome to the site. Try posting this in the suspension area, a lot of our tech types don't make it to this part of the board. Dan

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Rob
could be that the drums have a ridge worn in them and the brakes where adjusted so that the shoes are up inside of that ridge holding the drum on . The remedy would be to back off of the adjusters to free the drum for removal...

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Always back off the brake shoes if possible when you're attempting to remove the hub and drum assemblies on early cars. The shoes may be rusted to the drums as well, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to run around each drum with a big rubber hammer and try to jar some of that corrossion loose.

Another method is to take a length of heavy chain and drop a link over a couple lugs then nut them down. Lay the chain out on the deck in front of the hub and pop it like a bull whip.

Another method, take off the axle nut, reverse it, and screw it down just above the threads. Smakc it with a 5lb or bigger sledge smooth and straight.
SOmetimes that will pop the hub loose instantly.......YAYYYYYYYYYYY, sometimes it mushrooms the end of the axle and you have to saw it off.....BOOOOOOOOOOOO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.