Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Jeff J
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never used this on a hot rod always used the 2# and 10# residue valve and a adjustable proportioning valve ! Disc front drums rear . Now this one has GM disc brakes all the way around so it's using this brass proportioning valve and I have no idea what's it off off ! The problem is the little valve in the front(look at pic) has a button and it moves in and out on brake pressure and it's leaking ! Can that be rebuilt or what as I thought I had a line leak but when I pulled the rubber dust cap off it was full of brake fluid ! These are the GM metric calipers that are on it and the rear is off a Cadillac w/ the e -brake front are the standard Monte Carlo Oh and of coarse they are stainless lines ! Thanks in advance !:welcome::thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered SBC Addict
897 Posts
looks like a normal "combination valve".. could have a part number on it somewhere??
there are probly ones with different size fittings and pressures for different year/weight cars..
it would have the front hold-off valve, proportioning valve, and the low pressure or warning switch
all built in together..
valve pics
combination valve pics - Bing images

rebuild pic search
combination valve rebuild pics - Bing images

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I just went through this with my '56 wagon in 2015. Same issue. If you pull the metering valve out and look at the rubber "hats" you will find one of them has cracked. I got two new ones through Classic Performance. They were ten bucks each so I got two just in case...
Contact Aaron here... I included the part number also. let us know how it turns out.
Mark
It's an easy fix. Pull out the old, plug in the new, top off the brake fluid and drive the car. It will take about ten or fifteen miles of driving to get the brake pedal back fully but mine came back just fine with no bleeding. :)

Part # PVMVK-T $10.00 + mailing.
http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1947_59_Trucks/PV-MV.htm

Aaron Strietzel

Classic Performance Products, Inc.

Disc Brake, Steering and Suspension Products for classic Chevy and Ford cars and trucks

P 714 522-2000 ext. 125

F 714 522-2500

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,325 Posts
Been thru this a couple times now too with all the cheap chinese crap we have to buy. Apparently the rubber parts are inferior. I've never seen an original prop valve leak like these, even when they are 25 years old.:mad:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts