Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Build it right the first time
227 Posts
DO NOT use regular oil, the govt. has taken a lot of additives out of it and it will wipe your cam out on break in, use either shell rotella or vavoline conventional race oil, those still have zinc and other additives in them, and i always use 30wt for my break ins.

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
Nope.

Most modern gasoline multi-grades (ie 5w30, 10w30) don't have the right additive package containing zinc and /or phosphorous.

Break 'Em in Easy
ZDDP Additive

Both articles recommend using a diesel-engine grade 15w40 (Shell Rotella T for example) and some GM "EOS" (Engine Oil Supplement).

That's exactly what's in my 454 right now ... and I'm getting anxious to fire it up!

·
Registered
104 Posts
5/30 should be OK. I just have this thing that I've used 10/30 Valvoline for ever and never had any problems so I stick with it.
Modern rings with the correct bore finish are not much of a concern.
The cam is the major break in concern if it is not a roller.
If you have a flat tappet cam make sure that you are using an oil that has zinc in it. 10/30 Valvoline VR1 or diesel oil Add a can of GM E.O.S. (engine oil suppliment)for break in. Joe Gibbs Lubricants has a break in oil now also.
To check out some oil stuff look at this http://www.atis.net/oil_faq.html

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
I go with Valvoline straight 30w with EOS from GM- I always run valoline in my cars and Rotella Synthetic Diesle in my bikes. And I will NEVER touch penzoil- after seeing the crap that build up from it I wouldn't put it in my nieghbor's lawnmower.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive always had the best luck with pennzoil, anything else it burns oil, pennzoil was the cleanest also i had castrol for about 30,000 miles and it stained the motor black inside. ill probably use pennzoil, would the longlife diesel oil be what i use for break in? or straight weight because all straight weight pennzoil still have the Z7 additive. and could anyone tell me what is in the Z7 additive package?

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
I'd suggest readking that other thread.

Rotella T is now "CJ4" as of July 06. :pain:

I've gotta check to see what the stuff I put in was...

Maybe I'll order a skid of "CI4" oil and stockpile it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.