Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about running 10-30W Valvoline VR-1 racing oil for the start up of a new engine that has a roller cam and roller lifters. I'm also planning to use some Lucas ZZDP additive. I plan to stay with the VR-1 down the road as well. My question has to do with regular vs. full synthetic. Also, would you continue to add the ZZDP on all future oil changes?

·
True Hotrodder
1,641 Posts
Topic says "Break In Oil" and I know everybody pushes this mess and obviously you don't need it with a roller cam setup BUT my take is to go with a 10w30 Valvoline or a straight 30w Valvoline if you can find it for the first 20-30 minutes. This will help the rings to seat. Drop the oil and filter, check it out and then switch to your VR-1. I don't like that stuff on the street but everyone to their own.

Reactions: Molon Labe

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Driven BR40 break in oil and Driven XP7 or XP9 Synthetic would be my choice. You dont need a 20w50 oil for a cruiser; theres nothing to gain. Hell you could run Mobil-1 10w30 and be fine.

Im assuming when you say factory clearences, we are talking 1970s/80s stuff here. Driven does have some oils they recommend for certain clearences and applications

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
IF the engine is properly assembled, using clean parts and properly lubed prior to start up; its unnecessary if you are using a good quality oil that is appropriate for that application.
VR1 is a very high quality oil, but you're not using it in an application where you're going to realize all its benefits either.
Spend the money on Wix (Napa Gold) filters though.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
The walmart full synthetic stuff is actually a really good deal. I use a ac delco filter/wix. I been using it for over a year and am impressed.
This is cheap enough you can do traditional 3k oil changes and clean a dirty engine while paying less then name brand dino oil.

For break in or a solid the Driven oil is my go to. The stuff has the proper additives that justify the price. But once a roller is broke in switching to the full synthetic walmart oil will keep your engine and wallet happy.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
For a break-in, you want an oil that flows instantly once it starts. I use 10w-30 VR1 and so far so good. Every day driving I use Kendall 20w-50 racing oil. Regular mineral base, no synthetic since I change it once a year. I only drive the car 3000 miles a year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts