Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy passed 4th of july everyone! Yesterday after all the partying was over with I tried to bleed my breaks, but the nipples on both front calipers are stripped and there is no way to loosen them. Is there any other way to get them out? Or ANY possible way to bleed the breaks with out removing them?

Replacing both calipers would really be painful... :pain:

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Soak the bleeders w/PB Blaster (other penetrants do not work like PB) and let sit for at least 15 minutes, give a shot every five minutes.

Stick a drill shank into the hole of the bleeder that fits the tightest to help keep the bleeder from crushing. I've been known to drill them out to the next larger size, remove the bit from the drill and reverse the bit and insert it into my new hole.

Clamp onto the bleeder w/a pair of channel locks and hope for the best as you give them a quick but not vicious turn. Use vice grips if you're feeling lucky.

If you follow the above to the letter, you will have a 50/50 chance of getting them out. Do it any other way and you are on your own. :mwink:

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
KoTT said:
That wouldnt mess up the thread inside where the nipple screws into the caliper would it?
I'm saying to drill out the center hole where the fluid and air is bled from, not the whole bleeder! There are no threads where I'm saying to drill. And only drill into the bleeder itself- NOT into the caliper seat. Figure on just drilling to the depth of the bleeder that's exposed on the outside, don't go deeper- that way no harm will come to the seat, etc.

As for drilling out the entire bleeder- THAT comes later- AFTER you've broken the bleeders off! :pain: :p

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
After soaking with PB a few light taps around the bleeder on the caliper can also help loosen them when they are stuck. I would prefer vice grips to channel locks try to find the 2 flattest sides and instead of pulling on them, tap with a hammer.
The square jaw vice grips work the best. If you do manage to get them out, get new ones

·
Registered
190 Posts
tap tap tap

instead of pulling on them, tap with a hammer.

I agree with Chet on this... I always loosen stuck parts this way (after a long soak with Kroil) and I think the transmitted shocks help to break the parts free.

Don't wale on it... tap. (Or strike smartly, depending on the size of the bolt etc you are trying to free.)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@joe - its a 95 Mustang. and calipers for this thing are 30$ the cheapest I seen. Nipples are 2.50$ a piece... quite a difference, imo...

@all - yup... got em out. Thanks a bunch!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.