Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys have a 383 in 73 impala I know the rpms and run time thats not the problem. The car fires but I'm get backfiring from exhuast. I'm on top dead center with both valves closed on zero but my distributor is kinda points between one and center like a tooth off should I keep playing with it untill it exactly at one? second should I try to set the timing will running or try to smooth out as much as possible while run durning break in? My fear is golling the bearing if not broke in right.

Can you set the timing up at 10 degrees befor hand that way it not off when start up? Don't know how if possible please explain in full detail or video something so I can refer to. When I watch break in videos they start right up as if timing was done before hand? :confused:

·
489 Lemans
2,139 Posts
set timing

I always set my balancer at 10 degrees before top dead center. Make a mark on the engine where the rotor is pointing. install distributor cap. turn cap until one of the wire protrusions lines up with mark. this will be for #1 spark plug wire. install the rest of the wires in proper sequence. car should flash up immmediately. break in cam right away. you can fiddle with carb and timing while breaking in cam.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
compajosh said:
Hey guys have a 383 in 73 impala I know the rpms and run time thats not the problem. The car fires but I'm get backfiring from exhuast. I'm on top dead center with both valves closed on zero but my distributor is kinda points between one and center like a tooth off should I keep playing with it untill it exactly at one? second should I try to set the timing will running or try to smooth out as much as possible while run durning break in? My fear is golling the bearing if not broke in right.

Can you set the timing up at 10 degrees befor hand that way it not off when start up? Don't know how if possible please explain in full detail or video something so I can refer to. When I watch break in videos they start right up as if timing was done before hand? :confused:
You cannot idle the engine until the cam is broken in. If it's popping out the exhaust, I would first suspect the valves weren't adjusted right- you might have an exhaust valve too tight.

Some info that may help:

Cam installation

Adjusting the valves

Distributor installation so the timing will be correct for starting the engine. More on this here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.