Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
In my life outside of cars and trucks, I work as a supervisor for a small construction company. The work truck I happen to use (and have a brief question about) is an old, beat up, but still reliable 85 Chevy Wrangler 3/4 Tonne Automatic PickUp.
This beast was originally bought with 2 Gas Tanks, and within the past few months the cross-over switch shorted, so we stopped using the driver side tank, which wasn't emptying.
The other day the dead tank started pissing like a pregnant racehorse, and was promptly removed redneck style in a parking lot with no more tools then a ratchet, 2 pry bars and a couple well placed kicks and swear words. After we had snapped all the clamps and brackets holding it in place, we found 2 holes in the tank, plus it was leaking near the top where the fuel line and sensor package sits.
We decided to scrap the tank and continue onwards. After brief consultation via phone to a mechanic buddy, I left the vapor line open, and tightly sealed the other 2 lines that used to run to the tank, as I was told to do.
Unfortunatly, we've had some real problems running the truck now...seems like theres either a lot of carbon somewhere or the gas I transfered from the old tank was really dirty, because now the truck stalls out nearly every time I put my foot down on the accelerator. To me it honestly sounds like theres alot of air or crap being sucked into the carb, because the engine keeps choking and sputtering like its running outta gas.
Another part of me tells me I changed the fuel/air ratio by removing the tank, and that I might have seriously screwed the vehicle.
Anyways, If anyone has any ideas on what my problems might be, please do tell me....I'm thinking of dissassembling the carb to clean it, and wondering if theres a way I can do it without having to replace the gasket directly underneath it. Also, wondering about how to properly clean a fuel system, and if theres any reccomendations on what to use.
Thanks for your time,
Devon T.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,730 Posts
You said it was a qiuck question! :spank: :boxing:

You didn't affect the the carb at all. I suspect on of those lines you sealed off was a tank vent. Loosen the gas cap a little and try it. Se what happens. If it works, get a new vented cap.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
On an '85 with dual tanks the three lines on each tank should be fuel, fuel return line from the pump, and vent. The fuel line and fuel return lines should be connected to a six port switch under the truck. The vent lines will be connected to a T fitting and routed up to the vapor canister in the engine compartment. It sounds like you might have blocked off the fuel return line and left the vapor line open.

You also might have disturbed sediment in the old tank and pulled it up through the sock filter that is inside the tank. Sometimes the sock filter itself breaks apart. If you have a stock quadrajet there should also be a round filter inside the fitting where the fuel line connects to the carburetor. Many folks also add an additional filter between the fuel pump and the carburetor. I would change the filters before I'd start messing with the carburetor.

Bruce

1 - 3 of 3 Posts