Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,281 Posts
Whats the plan of application?
The Brodix is a better quality alloy and also use a proprietary guide so it's more expensive to replace those but still better over all.
Performance speaking, for a street driver, either is good and if competition is involved the Brodix gets my vote. I'm also a fan of Brodix in general.
There is also a resale value to be considered.

·
Registered
14,588 Posts
These use small ports and a soft burn chamber looks like something Vizard would do to Vortec head’s. I’m not excited by these I think chamber and port design has moved on, this is something of a step back to using port velocity to stir the chamber rather than blunt shapes of the chamber. Soft contours has its adherents, I’m not one of them except for motors running only at full throttle and peak RPM all the time, and even then not so sure it delivers on the promise. Good spark plug location though.

Bogie

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I have been running brodix IK200's on my 388" stroked small block for over 20 years , 50k miles , no complaints as to quality , have no definitive performance data other than to say .......its fast !

·
Registered
150 Posts
Never herd of those, don't appear to be on their main site anymore, so prob old design. I agree with Bogies, not stoked on the brodix "street head" chambers, disagree on the plug location tho these days most heads(even vortecs) are the opposite. Don't even care bout the alum vs iron weight loss debate, vortecs are hard to beat for a street 350 IF you don't gotta sink a lot of $$$ into a very used set.

·
More for Less Racer
20,462 Posts
This was on the Stan Weiss database...

Brodix CARB Legal Alum​
170/-2.02/1.6067-132/93185/134217/159215/174212/180

170cc intake port, 2.02/1.6" valve sizes, 67cc combustion chamber-
Those lift points are for the flow readings above are @ .200", .300", .400", .500", and .600"

Pretty sad for an aftermarket head, worse than a box stock Vortec and basically no better than a old school as-cast Iron Bow-Tie head.
Sounds to me like Brodix missed the target, and pulled back out of that market(budget alum) and no longer makes them

Chamber shape appears to still be used in the Race Rite series.

I do vaguely remember reading something about those odd, kinda upside down exhaust ports and a "???? was Brodix thinking" was the airflow community's reaction, but I can't remember where that came from.
Might have been the Speed-Talk forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would 'prep' up some AFR enforcers bare for $292 each. As a backup project. Here are the flows of the 'as cast' aluminum heads:
.200/ .300/ .400/ .500/ .550/ .600/
INt. 133/ 188/ 226/ 250/ 251/ 251/
EXh. 104/ 138/ 158/ 186/ 191/ 197/
I would take some time with these and do them up real nice, if your looking into aluminum for a good deal. They level out at .500" lift on the intake side although the heads have really great potential like the eliminator 195. Maybe you can have them CNC them or CNC them off a set of other AFR head's finished CNC port. Or just hand port them consistently. It would be hard but you can get awesome results. Anyone porting these , you don't want to mess up the port behavior its got because AFR makes better power than their flow numbers show , And the actual CFM was soo close on these with a few numbers on top of peak flow = 257 cfm actual measured. and a few less on exhaust side peaks 190 cfm measured.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts