Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Get out the ducktape...
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fellas I got an 85 s-10 blazer with a locking diff. and 3.73 gears. I needed to replace the rear axle seals so I was going to remove the axle shafts. When I took the pinion shaft lock bolt out, only half of it unscrewed. I am not sure but I think part of a thread is on the broken side so using a magnet to pull it out won't work. Could anybody give me some info on how to get this little * out. It's the daily driver so I'm in a bind.

Oh, and I already tried putting JB weld on the end of the bolt to reconnect them but it didnt work. Thanks for any info.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
BROKEN

I have used many methods to solve this problem. Some of them are cave man like but all have worked at different times for me.

The first thing would be to get the broken bolt out. Find a drill the same size as the tap drill for the thread. example If it's a 1/4-20 thread then you can use a #7 drill. Use this to spot the broken part left in the housing. Then use a smaller drill bit to drill the bolt and try a easy out or like tool. I have found it hard to get a drill exactly lined up perfect in most of the gm rears because the caps and the housing are in the way.....

If you fail at removing the broken bolt then you might need to sink to more brutal measures.. All of theses are designed to get the carrier out and will result in you needing to remove the carrier to finish the job.....

One is to take a die grinder and grind the top of the cross pin through to expose the broken pin. Then use a punch to drive the cross pin out and then you can remove the carrier and finish the repair.

I have also used a smoke wrench to nick the top of the cross pin. and then use a punch to drive the cross pin out. I did this one time and kept most everything covered and did not need to take the carrier out....I got in the hole where the cross pin was and removed the retaining pin with a pair of needle nose pliers.

This is the best.. I was at another shop one time and watch a guy take a big hammer and punch and just drive the cross pin out with out removing the retaining pin?????? It broke the cross pin in 3 pieces. He then took the carrier out and dug all the pieces of the broken retaining pin out ......... I know it's crazy but it did work for him!!!!!!

Keith

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
I 've done all of the above. I also like to use a left nand drill bit.

Troy:thumbup:

·
Get out the ducktape...
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas. Yeah the caps prevent a straight drill in so Im gonna use a flex shaft to drill it out if it works. I was told about just using a punch and a hammer but I was also warned that it might mess up the main gear housing. That will be a last resort.

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
If you can get a small magnet that will extend into the hole, I've had good luck with this. Usually (unless I've been really lucky) I find that with the head broken off, the tension is off the bolt, and the magnet has enough pull that you can use it to rotate the rest of the bolt out.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I think anyone who has worked on chev c clip type axles for any amount of time has run into that at least a couple of times

1 - 8 of 8 Posts