Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I broke an extension piece off in this square plug I was planning on removing to put my oil pressure sensor in (it is the outlet directly above the oil filter).

I’ve fiddled with it trying to get it out and all I’ve managed to do is jam it in further. How can I get this out???????

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
An 010 casting that plug’s been there a long time the chances of removal without pulling the engine to either put an oxy-acetylene torch on it or to drill out would be mighty, mighty slim.

There is a much better chance of getting the oil pressure sensor off from behind the intake and attaching your gauge there.

Bogie

·
More for Less Racer
20,932 Posts
Got a MIG welder handy??
Or somebody good with a stick welder??

Take a flat washer with a hole big enough to show most of that square tip.....weld through the hole to plug weld the broken tip to the washer.
Let it cool a bit and pry it out, the washer gives you an edge to get a wedge under.
A steel nut can be used also, if you need something to really get a hold of. Weld through the center of the nut onto the broken extension tip

Or, since you don't plan to reuse this plug, get a large nut big enough to fit over the lip of the entire plug, then weld through the hole in the large nut and weld the inside of the nut to the top of the plug.
Let it cool and the plug will come right out using the large nut to turn it, the weld heat will have loosened much of the thread corrosion.

As you've found out, the tip of a socket extension doesn't make a good tool for this job, due to the relief cut in it for the detent ball and spring assembly.
They do make actual hardened plug removal sockets for this job.:cool:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Leave the broken piece where it is and use the oil pressure port next to the distributor. Think about it, if you start welding and expand the plug and crack the block. Talk about an Oh Sh*# moment. Chances are you probably won't crack the block but why take the chance. Great engines turn to junk in a split second with a crack. You'll kick yourself for a long time if it cracks. Especially when you have another option staring straight at you. Your engine. Your choice.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
weld 7/16 nut to the plug, assuming the plug is steel---it looks like brass in the picture, but all the factory plugs would be steel.
some shops will do this, my area has a mobile guy with a TIG that goes to shops and removes bolts and does minor welding repair

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks to all comments and help! I managed to get it out with some picks and a strong magnet. I will keep all of this in mind should (and Lord knows I will) run into this scenario again...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts