Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you guys probrably get this alot. I am looking at the end of my deployement when I have a month of doing a complete rebuild of my 305. I will be spending about 1500 on it. Any Ideas? Things I will be reusing:
Pistons.
Crank.
Junk yard heads "vortex if I can find them" Of course rebuilt.
Carb.
I think that sums it up.

Thanks for your advice and pointers.

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
New
Cast 200-260
Forged 600-800+

Junkyard-Depends. Maybe someone here that has bought a used oem 400 crank can fill you in on that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan on having all parts together when I get back. This is giving me some time to save up the 1500-2000 dollars I need and also getting a month off gives me time to do it. Of course I will have the heads and block taken in to get machined.

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
That kind of budget I would go stock bottom end and just have it balanced and turned. Maybe go up on compression a little bit so you can fit a bigger cam in there.

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
Making it mean would be harder than making it sound mean on a budget. You you just want to mean sound you could get a cam with a tight LSA and just get the lope and bark. But you may not be able to back it up. I bet some people on this forum have built some super mean 305s So I would wait for their views on your budget and what your looking to get. It can be done.

What kind of horsepower numbers are you gunning for?

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
Gosh I hate repeating myself, but for the budget you're looking to spend, you could buy three 350s.

The 305 is a great engine, but the small bores limit breathing. Getting a 305 to 300 hp is do able, but it will take a lot more money than buying a 350 at 300 hp.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
curtis73 said:
Gosh I hate repeating myself, but for the budget you're looking to spend, you could buy three 350s.

The 305 is a great engine, but the small bores limit breathing. Getting a 305 to 300 hp is do able, but it will take a lot more money than buying a 350 at 300 hp.

for the money where would i be able to get a 350.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Where to buy 350

Check your local chevy dealer,get a new crate motor w/warranty for under $1500 and still be able to buy a few goodies!

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
LXZ590 said:
for the money where would i be able to get a 350.
I've found several for free just by scouring around, but I'm also in a big city. You could buy a core for $100, take it to a machine shop, and for about $700-800 they'll give you back a completely remanufactured longblock with your choice of cams (within reason). Put your own intake on it, rebuild the carb, and accessories, and you have a budget setup.

But, I also can't shake a stick at a $1500 crate motor with a warranty :)

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
With a budget of 2k you will have less than 700 to finish that motor and that 350 is only rated 250hp.

With block and stock bottom end crank/rods. Machine work depends on what you have done 200-500$(hot tank bore,hone,cam bearings, crank turn, rod r&r) . You could get a set of keith black dome pistons for more comp for around 250$ depending on where you get them. Put in a decent cam and lifter kit for anywhere from 80-150$. From there you can get some stocker rebuilt heads 100-300$. Intake manifold depending on brand 100-160$. reman edelbrock 500cfm carb 250$.

The more expensive options will cost around 1700 total
The low price method will run you for 980.
You got little things like oil pump, pushrods...etc Im assuming these are things still in the motor?
I got the prices by skimming through summit. You wont know anything until you get quotes and actually make a definitive list of prices/things you want.

Its really up to you on how you want to tackle it. You can make a pretty potent 305. Its uncommon too so extra kudos for that. The best thing about the crate motor is the 3 year 100k warranty.

Call me retarded but Id rather build the 305 or a 350 rather than purchase a crate.

·
Registered
302 Posts
LXZ590 said:
at the best 300 hp since it comes stock with I think 160.

the hp output varies. the Vortec 305s came with something like 195hp, and varying models of early 305s have anywhere from 125 up to 160. the Vortec 305s are roller cam.

i just ripped off a 204hp/300tq dyno run with my 78 model year .040" over 305. and i have room for more.

there are several articles on the internet that discuss high output 305s. here is one for a 343hp 305, http://www.hioutput.com/tech/343hp/343hp.html.

·
Im trying to have an idea!
380 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts