Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they use to wet sand and buff acrylic enamel. It is Dupont Centari with 793S hardner. I have heard that 3m-perfect-it products are good, but there are so many to choose from that I have no idea where to even start. Reason I need to sand and buff is that I have a few dirt specs in the paint. I painted last night and I am also wondering how long that I should wait before doing this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am assuming you used a base/clear coat system. If so how many coats of clear? I would wet sand the spots with 2000 grit and buff with a med foam pad using a med grade compound followed by a good finishing compound. Take your time, light pressure and higher speed. Watch the area closely and just buff till the 2000 grit marks are gone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Umm... he said acryllic enamel in the thread therefore im assuming no basecoat clear coat. Read the thread next time! :)

Sorry Im still asking and finding informatin on this myself can't help you out yet.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Jerry, Was it a metallic paint or solid color ? If it was a metallic then NO you don't wet sand or buff , doing so will effect the metallic and can cause striping . If on the other hand it is a solid color Yes you can but no matter whitch you need to wait atleast a month to do anything to give it time to cure .

Take Care

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I have been busy at work. It was a single stage enamel. And, I guess unfortunately it is ruby red "metallic". I guess probably my best option would be to live with it, but I still have the hood and trunk lid to install and paint, so what would your suggestions be on sanding/scuffing the paint and applying recoating when I paint the hood and trunk lid. Should I wait a month or so? I probably won't do this for a while unless I see a good weather forecast. All I use for heat is a kerosene bullet heater. Plenty of heat, but I don't think it is that clean. I probably got in a little bit of a hurry to get it painted so I could put the engine back in, etc.

thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
Jerry , If it was me I would wait and scuff what you have painted with 600 wet and then recoat it all . One thing wiith metallic paint you want to paint it ALL at one time. I'm in no way a pro I haven't shot a car in several years but when I did I used Dupont Centari . As for the color I like :thumbup: When I get done with the body work on my Ranchero Thats the color I have for it.

http://hotrodders.com/gallery/data/500/13792P5010023-med.jpg?70

Take Care

1 - 6 of 6 Posts