Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sprayed my interior, door jams, undercarraige, and engine compartment yesterday with SPI base and SPI HS clear. Well I guess I should have went with the UV clear for these areas because with the many contours, it was very difficult to lay the clear on smooth and orange peel free. It still came out pretty good though. However, I would like to wetsand and buff out some of the key visible areas in the engine compartment and possibly the door jams to get rid of the orange peel.

Any advise with this? I will have to do it all by hand of course due to the small area I'm working in. What products should I use?

Thanks,
Kevin

3,214 Posts
The small areas that you are afraid to use a powered buffer on, you can buff by hand. The trick is finding a wool pad for use hand buffing. For that go to anyplace that sells auto parts or accessories. They will have the wool steering wheel covers. Get one of them, and cut it into small buffing pads. It will be work, but well worth it.

Aaron

·
Problem Child,Hard Case
1,773 Posts
Buffing by hand is a major task and the finer the paper you go to,the less work it will be like Vince said.
Most auto paint stores sell 3" wool buffs with a 1/4" shaft as well as waffle foam pads with a velcro adapter arbor which is 1/4" shaft for the swirl remover compound. MUCH quicker and they are not that expensive.
The wool pads are different brand names and the 3M wool pad is crap so don't waste your money on it BUT, Their foam waffle pads are great.
You can use a drill or an air angle die grinder with the speed cut down.
I used the angle grinder for awhile till I got a Dynabrade angle buffer for the 3" stuff,but it's kinda tricky to get the speed vs torque right with the grinder so I had a choke valve at the grinder inlet for quicker changes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts