Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this may sound dumb, but i just used a single stage paint and was wondering if anyone thought i should or shouldn't use a buffer? if i should...what kind would you reccommend to buy?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey chevy girl, I have worked with single stage paint when detailing cars, and i would say yes you can, but to an extent, i would use it on a very lite setting, and use a very soft fabric, and be sure not to stay on the same spot all at once, move it in the same direction as you started in. hey just wondering, how old are you?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Single stage paint can be buffed like any other paint, but with single stage you have to be cautious because its usually air dried and because of its chemical makeup its very easy to burn through. If the vehicle you want to buff requires wetsanding a safer opption for a newbie would be to wetsand the area that needs it and use a heat gun for a few minutes over the spot. The paint will re-gloss and flow out nicely. You could also ask a local shop if they hane a paint booth with the baking ability, if so get the whole car baked and any flaws like orange peel etc will flow out nicely and it will not only look better, but the paint will be harder as well after cooling.

If you still want a buffer and plan to use it for a while for many things buy a multi speed buffer. On your single stage you the lowest setting and either a soft wool pad and meguires NO.7 - 24, 7 for scratches and imperfections, higher for finishing and gloss. Or you could use 3M's black waffle pad and the finesse-it line finishing products if repair is needed or the perfect-it line if you just want to; well perfect it :D

HK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts