Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, requesting some input on a build. I am rebuilding a 1979 Buick 231 even fire V6. It has the factory carburator draw through turbo setup, Rochester carb. This will have .030 overbore, stock dished type pistons. I would like to end up with a mild engine, little more power but still drivable and reliable. Any buick Guru's with cam type/specs that would work nicely. Vehicle is a modded 40 dodge truck, T350 trans and ford 9 rear with 3:50 gears. Weight is right at 2870 LB's. Any suggestions on a cam that will work good. *On the draw through Turbocharger set up I can't run a intercooler.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Im not here to help, lol. I couldnt recommend A cam for your 3.8l but Im curious about this thread because I was very impressed with my little 231. Finally threw a rod so im switching to 350 but I DO plan on rebuilding it for my wifes car! good little motor!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Ken Duttweiler is well known for his work in Buick's.On this one I am out of the loop.I tired to find a web site/link to him and couldn't find one.Maybe someone else will chime in with that.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Greetings, requesting some input on a build. I am rebuilding a 1979 Buick 231 even fire V6. It has the factory carburator draw through turbo setup, Rochester carb. This will have .030 overbore, stock dished type pistons. I would like to end up with a mild engine, little more power but still drivable and reliable. Any buick Guru's with cam type/specs that would work nicely. Vehicle is a modded 40 dodge truck, T350 trans and ford 9 rear with 3:50 gears. Weight is right at 2870 LB's. Any suggestions on a cam that will work good. *On the draw through Turbocharger set up I can't run a intercooler.
Do you already have the engine built? If not a later model supercharged 3800 is derived from that engine but has many updates and is a MUCH better engine to start with- not to mention you'll have factory efi so you can run an intercooler. Better heads, roller cam, stronger block, efi, etc. many reasons to go get yourself a JY core and start with that.

·
Banned
2,474 Posts
Do you already have the engine built? If not a later model supercharged 3800 is derived from that engine but has many updates and is a MUCH better engine to start with- not to mention you'll have factory efi so you can run an intercooler. Better heads, roller cam, stronger block, efi, etc. many reasons to go get yourself a JY core and start with that.

ya ya send him for a fwd engine.. the 3800 in the f body was never s/c the s/c type II aand III are front drive blocks.

to the o/p I'd hit up turbobuick.com and look around/ask there..

·
Old(s) Fart
6,080 Posts
ya ya send him for a fwd engine.. the 3800 in the f body was never s/c the s/c type II aand III are front drive blocks.

to the o/p I'd hit up turbobuick.com and look around/ask there..
The Series II/III blocks are the same for FWD and RWD. They all use the 60 degree metric bellhousing (same as the Chevy 2.8 V6 family). The 3800 SC has been swapped into MANY, MANY RWD cars with no problems. Simply use the 60 degree trans bellhousing from a 3rd or 4th gen F-body or an S-10. This is easy. The Turbo Buick crowd has even discovered the Series II motor as a nice replacement for the GN motors, again using the correct bellhousing.

·
Banned
2,474 Posts
The Series II/III blocks are the same for FWD and RWD. They all use the 60 degree metric bellhousing (same as the Chevy 2.8 V6 family). The 3800 SC has been swapped into MANY, MANY RWD cars with no problems. Simply use the 60 degree trans bellhousing from a 3rd or 4th gen F-body or an S-10. This is easy. The Turbo Buick crowd has even discovered the Series II motor as a nice replacement for the GN motors, again using the correct bellhousing.
funny I have a fwd 3800 here for my fiero, and the 231 g body 200/th350 trans doesn't bolt up
ya, if you want to change out the whole drivetrain..

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Buick Turbo

I wish it was the later EFI 3.8, but I'll be using what I already have. It's not a daily driver but I know with the draw through turbo, cam selection is critical. I was asking if anyone had any experience with this set up and what they used. I already have the short block ready but I was wondering if there is a mild cam that might work better than the stock setup.

·
Banned
2,474 Posts

IIRC the 2.8 the 3.1 the 3.4 are 60* v6
the 3300 &3800 are 90* v6's and not even anywhere near the 2,8 engine family..

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
IIRC the 2.8 the 3.1 the 3.4 are 60* v6
the 3300 &3800 are 90* v6's and not even anywhere near the 2,8 engine family..
3800 blocks have the 60º V6 bellhousing pattern, 3.8l blocks have the BOP bellhousing pattern.

The supercharged 3800 is the one I was referring to as having many advantages, in fact if money is tight I'd probably just get one of these engines in good condition, adapt a turbo kit, and swap the trans or bellhousing. Down the road you can work on the heads and swap the cam.

·
Banned
2,474 Posts
3800 blocks have the 60º V6 bellhousing pattern, 3.8l blocks have the BOP bellhousing pattern.

The supercharged 3800 is the one I was referring to as having many advantages, in fact if money is tight I'd probably just get one of these engines in good condition, adapt a turbo kit, and swap the trans or bellhousing. Down the road you can work on the heads and swap the cam.
so if moneys tight, you want him to think about an engine that will require him to change out his trans, driveshaft(if not use'n same trands type) and engine management system.. AND fuel system as his is a blow through carb..

sounds like the elcheapo way to me <rolls eyes>

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
so if moneys tight, you want him to think about an engine that will require him to change out his trans, driveshaft(if not use'n same trands type) and engine management system.. AND fuel system as his is a blow through carb..

sounds like the elcheapo way to me <rolls eyes>
When a solid rebuild will cost you 2G's or more its a hell of a lot cheaper. Then again people often forget that properly rebuilding an engine is NOT cheap.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,080 Posts
funny I have a fwd 3800 here for my fiero, and the 231 g body 200/th350 trans doesn't bolt up
ya, if you want to change out the whole drivetrain..
Funny, but I thought I SAID that the Series II/III 3800s used the 60 degree metric bolt pattern, not the BOP bolt pattern...

On the other hand, the 3800 you have probably bolts up just fine to your Fiero V6 trans. It also bolts up to any V6 RWD trans used in the 3rd or 4th gen F-body or any trans used in an S-10 with the 2.8 motor (the 4.3 V6 uses the SBC bolt pattern).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.