Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey im new to the site and also new to this 73 buick 455 engine rebuild i started a while back, but after all the part searching and modifications i had to go thru i am finally ready to set the timing and here her purr, i hope. the last few things i need help with is figuring the last few plug/holes in the edelbrock intake (i have no idea wut goes were) and also figuring out the carb vacuum lines. im new to all this stuff but would rather learn and do it myself than to take it to a shop (although i will for fine tuning) since i made this far with little help.....

Any carb videos and/or intake manifold vids for 73 buick 455 engine would be great!...

thanks and i appreciate any help guys!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
photos

here goes the best pics i got at the moment... Land vehicle Vehicle Engine Car Auto part

Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Fuel line
since these photos were taken i switched in the correct water pump pulley added belts, but i have not gotten to the two fans attached to radiator (which will be my next task at hand/set of questions) but i think i circled everything in green that i need help with.

Thanks!!

(There is newspaper in the one hole)

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Not a buick guy but I'll take a stab at it until someone proves me wrong.
The hole behind the carb is for the pcv.
Hole at front is port for temp sending unit.
Carb ports are big one centre for pcv hose.
Small left is ported vacuum.
Small right is manifold vacuum.
Could be one more large port in back of carb which is manifold vac for brake booster hook up.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I think that you have your heater hose on the intake at the coolant temp sensor port and the open piece of pipe that is cast into the manifold on the front driver side is where the heater hose is supposed to go.

Do you have the PCV hooked up? I didn't see one. If not, then you need to get one and it needs to be hooked to a full manifold port via a 'large' vacuum line - 3/8" or so - to a large port on the carb base or manifold.

Didn't notice, but do you have power brakes? If yes then that also needs a separate large port from either the manifold or carb base that is full vacuum.

The small ports on the front of the carb, I think, should be for the dizzy. But, if you need to do the 1st start up on this, then I would plug them during break in and definitely not have the dizzy vacuum advance unhooked. I'm sure someone else on here will know exactly what those front ports are.

Good luck - Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
first thanks for the quick responses, really appreciate it!

@ Rwen thanks im new to the fine tuning and carb work but i think that sounds about like what i have heard/seen before

@ jim thanks for the info, after checkin out a few other web pics of buicks, i found one pic with similar setup then i found another with a setup that is more like your sayin... so im kinda lost now (unless different stage buicks are different setup ups?)

thanks guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts