Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello
Back when buick and olds used these what was the underlie'n issues that put there use to an end, YES I know land rover bought them and used them until a few years ago..

How big are they..? ballpark,, using a "known " (i.e. I can go out to garage and look at one) compaired to a SBC? in width and length ? not just the block.. when I say length I mean with waterpump and pulley on it??

I ask because I may, dare to be different and instead of putting a sbc or a buick 3.8ltr in my Indy Fiero, like most of the swaps, I think a all alum v8 would be cool,, and yes the lsx is an option, but I'd not call it different..

bonus if someone knows how much different the rover one became, and if any years interchange, or some newer parts or older parts can be used together..

it be ideal if rover never changed the look of the thing,, cause after I get enough research done. it be awesome if the efi from the newer bolted to the older... even if that ment a head swap..
IDEALLY, it be great if the mpefi rover engine other than the efi and front dress (as I'm sure they don't run v belts lol) the thing still looked like the g.m. 215 v8 , bonus if the olds/buick 60's valvecovers bolted on, but now I'm asking for miracles..
what if any was the difference between the buick and olds?

only other question is how hard is it to find a "g.m." 215v8 now..
as I'm open to building it and adding the efi to it, if the newer non-g.m. ones look totally different.. Only reason I figured to ask about the rover engine is the "finding" a 60's engine complete.. after I get measurments and can size up, if it'll work.. as I'm sure the buick being buick is longer in the block to waterpump pulley,, but I could be wrong.. as I never really looked at them all that much when in cars at shows, and now that I have this idea in head. I can't seem to find on at a show to look at.. Dam you, Mr. Murphy

I've almost given up on finding a Pontiac Superduty to put in it.. like the pace cars had..the 3 cars that were on hand at the 84 Indy 500 as that would be the E-TICKET..
some one still makes these as they are used in dirt racing, but lost link of whom. and iirc it wasn't exactly cheap.. cruising racing junk most times comes up empty

thanks for any info, links, other forums that might deal with them more..
as I'm sure buick and olds based forums would have tons of info.. but some are better than others,, I'd rather skip the fishing through forums to find the ones with members with good info..

I know the hamb members fasebook page list for 65 and older.. but not sure web site/forum goes that far.. and then if it also goes to '65. I'd have to lie and act like I'm building a 60's style rod of some type to get info without getting flamed and or post deleted, or booted all together.. As I'm sure if I posted a thread asking for info on the 215v8 and that it's for a 80's car.. the blood hounds would come out full force..

Again, thanks for any info,links,sites.. as I'm researching my options..

and at the moment its
i4 superduty
3800 series II or III s/c v6
nascar busch series buick v6
215 v8 buick/olds
sbc v8
and lastly
the all alum ls 5.7/6.0/6.2

after I get all the research on all the mills it'll come down to these factors
availability of the unit and parts
cost (like everyone else that's not rich, or single..lol)
fitment

notes,,,
yes I know the 215 more than likely isn't going to bolt to the transaxle and I'll need an adapter no matter what transaxle I use.. but if you have links to adapter makers other than trans adapters, as that's the only one I've ever used..

oOps, sorry for the book..:spank:

:welcome:

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
2,8 ?

I have a 2.8 buick in a T bucket, I bought the crashed vega, Actually got it for the unpaid repair bill. mine has a different cam and 4 barrel holly on it. I remember reading the old hot rod articles about switching stock GM pistons to up the compression but don't remember which engines the parts interchanges. The volunteer Park ranger at the St Anthony sand dunes has an aluminum Rover V8 in his sand rail.
google time
http://www.aluminumv8.com/tech/tech.htm

·
Banned
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2.8 buick in a T bucket, I bought the crashed vega, Actually got it for the unpaid repair bill. mine has a different cam and 4 barrel holly on it. I remember reading the old hot rod articles about switching stock GM pistons to up the compression but don't remember which engines the parts interchanges. The volunteer Park ranger at the St Anthony sand dunes has an aluminum Rover V8 in his sand rail.
google time
D&D Fabrications: V8 Technical Data
what is a 2.8??
a buick 2.31 is 3.8
so a 215 wouldn't be 2.8 would it??

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
V6

The T has a v6, I did a little research looking for a light weight engine, The small V 8 Gm engines in the local bone yard were all junk. I need to check it again, I know the German Ford V 6 I have is a 2.8, and a 2.9 in the crashed Bronco II ..I better check the Gm V6 again before ordering any parts. My son has a core Gm V 6 setting in his 36 coupe , and a just rebuilt one in the shop.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
The German 2.8 is the darling of the Sunbeam Alpine racer set. Its a great little motor.

What about a Quad-4 or a Northstar V8 or Supercharged Ecotec 4? All those aside; if it was me Id spend the bucks on an Aluminum LS core engine and go from there.

·
Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycl
7,481 Posts
. Missed this thread when it first came out... I think the title caused it to go in the 'general' stuff at first...
. The 215 aluminum V8 was apparently designed in about 1951 and first appeared in a GM designer Harley Earl showcar/concept car: 1952 Buick Roadmaster... hence rocker arm shafts and aluminum rocker arms instead of later individual stamped steel rockers/balls...
. Went into production late 1960 - 1963... along with iron odd-fire V6 version... 1964 only Buick only iron block/alum. head 300" V8... D&D link above is wrong, Pontiac Tempest used Buick version (with transaxle in rear)...
. Buick version looked like a narrow Buick nailhead V8 (but, fortunately, it's not because doesn't have the backhanded valve train with crisscrossing valve stems/pushrods) with vertical valve covers and semi-hemi chamber heads, C.R. changed by pistons, up to 11:1, and 5 headbolts per cylinder... Olds version has typical wide Olds V8 look with valve covers sticking out at 45 degree angles, wedge/squish combustion chambers, C.R. changed by heads, 6 headbolts per cylinder because of turbocharger option w/ 10.75:1...
. AMC Jeep got the V6's... then GM got them back... RangeRover got the V8's... GM felt they were too expensive to make because of the aluminum (ALCOA Aluminum was pushing automakers to use it at the time, even some aluminum Chrysler Slant 6's made) and half the castings were porous and scrapped... Rover improved the casting technique with help from the GM engineer and added some block re-inforcing...
. About same external size as SBC... 320 lbs... (lighter than all iron 4-bangers)... Buick version narrower... bellhousing smaller diameter (fits into my MG Midget)... semi-centrifual clutch... bellhousing mounts most GM stick trannies... Repco-Brabham DOHC version won Formula1 races... same bore and stroke used in first Jaguar V12's with SOHC... V8 still in limited aftermarket production up to 5.2L/318"... Rover took it to 4.6L... other brands and racers to 5.0L... extremely popular for swapping in Europe, all over YouTube... Baker Engineering in Detroit and others specializes in them... also used in MGB V8, Triumph TR8 (EFI in California), Morgan Plus 8, TVR, Griffith, others...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iieDedNEYuI

1 - 9 of 9 Posts