Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently at the world of Wheels Car show here and I notice a number of different Motors in a couple Rods. Gets me thinking, I have a 455 that is complete with transmission and was wondering if anyone had ever used a big block buick? They seem not to be as heavy as a big block chey but still are bigger. Wondering what the weight would be like on a a solid I beam axle.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,311 Posts
They are lighter than BBCs by about 50-75 lbs depending on how they're equipped. Great engines, monster bore, short stroke. Fix the weak oiling with a good pump and a new front cover and its a reliable powerhouse.

Edit... sorry, you were comparing to a small block chevy... buick 455s are heavier by a bit. SBCs average around 550, big buicks are between 600-630.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Nailheads run around 675 lbs. give or take depending on size. The extra weight is worth the "cool" factor anyway. Much better than a cookie cutter SBC in any event.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.