Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, first some backstory. I've got an 85 K10 I purchased through the interwebs 5 years ago, It was listed as a 350, 4BBL, 4WD, yadda yadda. I bought it, got it home and tried to fix the first major problem it had, a smashed up oil pan. I had trouble getting a pan to match up until I finally got the block number, turns out I had a 307 on my hands! It has served me well over the last few years, but it's so slow and dogged out that it has to downshift to climb any kind of incline on the highway @ 65mph. It has trouble even climbing hills at speed if I have any kind of load or trailer. The engine is hooked to a 700r4 which is in turn running through 3.08 gears. I've talked the wife into swapping a 350 into it, but the more I read on the subject, the more intimidated I become. I want to build a good truck engine, not a 6,000 rpm, 1/4 mile race engine and I'm having trouble finding info and experience on building an engine to meet my needs. So far, it looks like my best option for a durable, useable 350 it to go salvage a 5.7 tbi roller out of a mid 90's truck/suv and convert it to a QJet setup for decent mileage(12-15mpg is my target, I know I'm driving a heavy brick:)) and driveability. My main questions are:

1. Will I need to run high octane gas in this setup? I would like to build something to run on 87 if I can.

2. Will the stock cam pair well with a carb, or should I get a different stick for it?

I have a mid 70's 350 block bored .030 over laying around, but it's pretty ugly and I have no internals for it besides a crank, pistons, and new MTC-1 cam a friend gave me. I figured a good 5.7 TBI roller would be a better foundation to build off of.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
If you rebuild the 350 to have from no less than 9 to no more than 9.3:1 CR, A cam with 206 to 210 intake duration and 216/218 exhaust duration,420-440 lift,,you could use an edelbrock performer intake and your 4 bbl carb.(your MTC-1 cam,is ok)headers are very good,full dual exhaust,2 1/2 inch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought the MTC-1 was not intended for a roller setup since it's a hydraulic flat tappet cam. I only mentioned it in case somebody had good advice of what to do with a bare mid 70's block and that cam. I was thinking of getting a whole 5.7 tbi so I would get all the internals with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.