Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello! :welcome: here we go again. i am starting a new project this time. instead of body work i am now going to start on a motor first. i have the block that came from a 70 vette (4 bolt main) it was bore 40 over and all was redone. since i am trying to keep this project on a budget i have done a lot of research on a lot of parts and ways to cut down on cost. :sweat: i just ordered my 383 stroker kit from powerhouse. they are not the cheapest but far from the most expensive. i know someone with a built motor and says it has held up great. i also purchased a cam kit from summit.it has a 540/562. it was a special order part. once i get it in in a month i will assemble the bottom of the block. i will keep everyone posted on progress

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yea, you can do that within your budget, it`ll be close.

I strongly suggest having your machinist put your bottom end together. Going rate here in Orlando is $250,that`s worth it. Then you can have your fun with the bolt ons.

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
On magazine engine kits make sure you have some go through the clearances on both ends of the rods and and pin bores of the pistons and have the balancing checked as we have had a few of them in the shop because the wrist pins didn't fit in the small end of the rods and we found that the parts were not even removed from the plastic wrapers and when we check the balancing it was not even close.

And they advertised ready to assemble but when he called about the pins not fitting it then became the responseabilty of the builder to make sure it was right and on the balancing they said it should be fine HMMMMMMMM.

And I have seen cast cranks in these kits with Clevite H-series bearings which is not even suppose to be used on cast cranks according to Clevite.

So just becareful and have everything checked out and remember your talking to a salesman on the phone not some one who builds engines for a living!!!!!!!!

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
If you are planning on running pump gas compression, you will need a nice set of heads, aftermarket and ported for sure. It can be done, just dont skimp on the hads.

Adam

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mikes speed shop here in Nashville is going to assemble and balance it for $160 that is making sure everything clears also. and far as heads go like i said the cam kit i got for $704 includes almost everything i needed except the valves for the heads.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
still waiting

it is going on two weeks since i have ordered my parts. the wait is killing me. :mad: i guess i need to be patient and just wait. ill try to take some pics and keep a detailed log on what i spend and specific parts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Assembly, balancing and clearancing for $160? That is one hell of a good price. Exercize caution, and make sure it's also a good value. I am totally unfamiliar with any particular shop's reputation (except the one I use here in California) but this sounds just too cheap. I'm not trying to "cast dispersions", but balancing alone would run more than that out here. Don't forget that the block will likely need clearancing to accomodate the larger "swing" of the rod big ends, and that means a lot of hand work, or a set up on the milling machine, at the speed shop. Not to mention all the assembly and charting (I only assume you are asking for recorded data on all the clearances). Will that high-lift cam clear the rod throws? Did you get a small base circle cam?

This sounds like a very interesting, and very doable project. I suggest investing in excellent heads (the new AFRs, perhaps) and using a single plane, high rise intake. 500 HP with a well-thought out combination shouldn't be too tough to achieve.

Good luck, and continue to keep us posted.

Pat

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,731 Posts
PatM said:
Assembly, balancing and clearancing for $160? That is one hell of a good price. Exercize caution, and make sure it's also a good value. I am totally unfamiliar with any particular shop's reputation (except the one I use here in California) but this sounds just too cheap. I'm not trying to "cast dispersions", but balancing alone would run more than that out here. Don't forget that the block will likely need clearancing to accomodate the larger "swing" of the rod big ends, and that means a lot of hand work, or a set up on the milling machine, at the speed shop. Not to mention all the assembly and charting (I only assume you are asking for recorded data on all the clearances). Will that high-lift cam clear the rod throws? Did you get a small base circle cam?

This sounds like a very interesting, and very doable project. I suggest investing in excellent heads (the new AFRs, perhaps) and using a single plane, high rise intake. 500 HP with a well-thought out combination shouldn't be too tough to achieve.

Good luck, and continue to keep us posted.

Pat
That is a good price. about $1500 here.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mikes speed shop(assemble)

i called mikes just a few min. ago and ask to make sure that the price that i had told yall was correct. sorry guys i was $40 off. the man who answered the phone told me this. "long as there is no major metalwork that has to be done it will cost $200" he also told me that if it is a up to date kit he should not have many problems with it. this shop has been in business since 1980. thats 26 years going on 27. i haven't heard anything bad either about them. the guy summed up the conversation and basically told me it is rare that they have a problem clearing the block. therefore it sould only be around $200.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Terrific. I hope you don't need any metalwork done. If you do, of course, the price could escalate quickly. I thought all 383s required clearancing of the pan rails, particularly toward the back of the block, but I could be mistaken. And with the newer stroker specific rods, you shouldn't have a problem with cam clearance (I didn't with my Lunatis). That assumes that the Powerhouse kit rods are stroker rods, and not just reconditioned 5.7 inch stock 350 rods. Sincerely, I wish you all the best. Let us know how this all works out. If Mike's will do this kind of work that cheap (and do it well) I'll haul parts for my next motor out to Nashville to get the machining done. :)

Again, good luck and keep us up-to-date.

Pat

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey pat another thing i failed to mention is that they told me that if a cylinder needed work that it would only be $70 per cylinder if there was any heavy metal work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
500hp stroker

Tryin2MakeIt,
Your asking alot of 500 hp from a 383.What compression are running ? I have seen 650 hp from a stroked LT1 with a belt driven supercharger but the best on a carb application was 425-450 hp.Even a Hilborn injected 383 made 550hp/500 torque ,I guess 125hp shot of NOS will get you there .Don't look at the hp look at the torque this is what is going to put you back in the seat.You make 450 ft lbs torque it will feel like 500 hp.I dont want to sound negetive but 9:-1 mtr will make 425hp.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
articles

i have read up on several articles that say that it is very possible. they are all over. the most important of all is the bottom end. i am making sure everything is smooth so there is no unnecessary friction. when it is done ill have to find somewhere to Dino it and ill give you the figures

·
Registered
176 Posts
I wouldn't say your bottom end is the most important; almost always heads are the limiting factor on an engine. to reach 500hp on a 383 you will have to spend a good chunk of your $4500 budget on heads and the machine work necessary to get those same heads up to snuff. I'm not trying to discourage you here, but be realistic; I've seen enough dyno sheets to know that most people overestimate the hp their engines are producing. if you hit 400hp I will be very very impressed. to go over 1 hp per cubic inch is nothing short of incredible.

and a little something for you to consider: my dad used to build some wickedly fast small block chevys in his day, but he used all stock lower ends, but balanced. his theory was if the engine blew, who cares? he'd just unbolt the heads and intake and slap the only expensive parts on another small block. it's hard to beat a guy who's willing to blow his engine up to beat you. ;)

and a question for all of you; why would any of you pay someone money to assemble your engine?? you're missing the most rewarding part of the whole project!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
finally

tonight around 7 i got my 383 kit in. now i am waiting on my cam kit to come in from back order and trying to save up enough money by then to order my bare heads

·
Sophisticated Minimalist
120 Posts
it is very possible to do what you want to do...I recommend that you check out a book by david vizard called small blocks on a budget, it's all about building up sbc's for minimal amounts of money...pretty good book imo...good luck and have fun :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts