Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of building a 86 cutlas with a 355 with ALL the goodies. I have Garrett GT42 turbo that we are installing. I would love to talk to someone that has done a single turbo SBC on a G-Body car. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I got a 74' Chevy Monte Carlo with a single 67mm Garrett Turbo. Blo-Through carb and built TH350 Trans with manual VB and TCI Convertor...

The car screams! Sounds like your on the right track! Ask away! I built my car from scratch so I can answer it all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great

Well, what are the odds of you having a build sheet?? LOL. I am sure I am going to have a million questions for ya. What kind of horse are you getting??? Any main problems I should try to avoid during the course of the build????

·
Registered
103 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but that turbo is huge. I would be its either 94mm or 102mm inducer

That is a huge turbo, there is probably going to be some serious turbo lag off that thing.

How much power do you plan on making? Did you order the turbo based off the compressor map and do all the calculations to ensure that this is the correct sized turbo for your goals?? Also is this going to be a blow-through carb or fuel injected setup? What pressure ratio do you plan on running?

That turbo is going to flow insane amounts of air and need alot of fuel.

Eric

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the turbo is HUGE. Not sure about the power we are looking for. I guess as much as the car can handle. I bought the turbo from a guy here in town. So, no I did not order it based off the compressor map. I am going to use a Blow-through carb. And as far as pressure ratio, Not sure. We are new to the turbo game and trying to get passed the learning curve. So the truth is, We need as much help as possible. LOL

·
Registered
75 Posts
I live in Middletown just south of Dayton from ya, I am running a really small turbo for a small block. 67mm with a .68 a/r turbine. its really responsive with zero lag.

Your welcome to come take a ride in the car. I will get it out this next weekend as much as the weather permits. I am running basically a bone stock long block.
The biggest thing to remember is not to go overboard with cams/compression & carb size. Smaller the carb the better. I am running a 575 CFM Blo-Thru. I am pushing 15#'s of boost with zero issues including my stock cast pistons.

I have a larger turbo that will be put into place after my next engine is ready. Its a 76mm Precision with .96 A/R turbine. Which is a great size turbo for a 283-377 ci engine. But I can show you ways to get a big turbo to work for you. I can also help you out alot with the fuel system. Mine is totally mechanical. No electric pumps etc.

Like I said your more than welcome to come over and totally go over the whole car in person. Its easier to talk and ask questions that way too. You can ride in it and get the impression of how it acts with a small turbo. My friend Clay can bring over his twin turbo 67' GTO and you can ride in it too to get a idea of what it feels like to ride in a higher rpm spooling car. His doesnt build much boost until around 3500 RPM. Mines a monster even right off idle.

Clay and I are both running the same amount of boost its just being delivered differently. My personal opinion is to run a smaller turbo and bring it on early and gear the car for it. More fun. especially on the street. I am running a 2.73 with a spool and the car absolutely makes the tires scream for mercy.
I have a 3.42 gear I am putting in the make the car a little more dragstrip friendly but it will become a big handful on the street.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey there! I got in a bit of a pissing match over in another thread here. its called "Inches dont mean much" If you get a chance to search that one out can you vouch for me?

I am glad you guys came down the other weekend and checked out the turbo Monte. Maybe you guys can attest to how the Monte runs, Even though it was just on the street tires the day you was here.

I started wetsanding and buffing the hood of the car. Its turning out pretty great so far. It was the worst panel on the car.

We are going to the Franklin "Downtown Sat. nights" car show tomorrow. Usually over 800 cars in attendance if you feel like heading south again.

Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
And after seeing that Turbo of yours in person I believe you will have no problems spooling it and it should actually work well. (Its decent size, Huge in comparison to a stock turbo off a 6.5 diesel or a import car. But not huge for a SBC)

I was worried about Tims idea of a fuel system....I really dont think it will work.

You should either run a Walbro inline 255 pump, A1000 Aeromotive or a Racepump like mine. That six valve mech. pump he mentioned and the electric feeding it from the back isnt going to be enough.

Have you guys done a preliminary work yet? Any plumbing?

·
Registered
75 Posts
No actually, I dont stop.

I am not the typical keyboard bumper that is all theory and no reality. I do reality first then if its worth mentioning I bring it up on a message board or two.
I am not BS driven...I am fact driven and I actually am all about giving people genuine help and trying to help them save money and do things the right way, right away.

I'm sorry if I came across as snobby or a know it all on that other thread but explanation was needed IMO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.