Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
!969 Chevy C20 Roadster
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was a younger guy I developed a love for vintage race cars. Each car had a series of features that I thought where extra cool and went on my list. I would go to vintage races with my dad and friends and we would look at each car in the pits. Every racer added to the already amazing collection of details, finishes, and design solutions specific to their wants and needs.
I began a list of those things to eventually consider and combine on a custom design of my own that I would one day build,
I always loved the idea of hood mounted gauges. I had another idea that included putting the gauges out on the motor or as close as possible to the system they were measuring. I also liked the idea of having as much as possible on my roadster be analog. My tach is on the cowl as is my oil psi. My water temp gauge is mounted on a stalk next to the radiator. If you sit in the driver's seat the water temp gauge lines up between the two cowl mounted gauges perfectly,
Another few on my list were the front mounted V8 with side pipes matched with the Muncie 4 speed, Hurst shifter and the 12 bolt posi rear end. I also had to have an exposed engine and open front wheels. The Brooklands racing wind screens and raydot style side mirror along with a wood steering wheel, low back seats and race blap belts were also on my must have list. An aluminum dash with Stewart Warner gauges and metal toggle switches finished up my list of must have features. I had spent years thinking about all of these features in how they looked, felt sounded, functioned and would make a special combination as they worked together.

Now that the basic body and subframe where in place I could begin the process of finishing basic systems and adding the functional and must have features to my Roadster.
The hydraulic system and the electrical systems needed to be installed next. The brakes are all manual without a booster. I used a set of aluminum race pedals and master cylinders from Southwest Speed. I would have individual front and rear brake circuits and a hydraulic throwout bearing for my clutch from Howe for my Muncie.
For a wiring harness I chose to use a 12 circuit kit from Speedway Motors. It was both clear and easy to install. I did end up buying a 1-wire alternator which made my life even easier. I mounted my Optima battery in the footwell of the passenger side of my car putting it behind the firewall and opposite of the driver for weight balance.
I decided to make the floors for the roadster out of aluminum. Beginning with a set of cardboard patterns and then on to lots of cutting and time with a file, the parts where then installed and ready for use. I was so close to finished.
I had been so tight on my budget, found used parts, and.now I had some extra project $ ....
More to come soon

Attachments

·
Registered
!969 Chevy C20 Roadster
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bob,
This project has been a great learning process. Everything has a purpose, form follows function. It Looks kind of big in pictures but in fact it is only 12 feet 2 inches long and 41 inches to the top of the windscreen and 76" wide. It is in fact 10 inches shorter and 8 inches lower and 8 inches wider than a 427 Cobra. Fun stuff, Thanks again.
More to post soon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.