Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is alot of talk about building a 302 , from the 327 to 283 crank swap. I set down and put together what it takes to start from scratch. I actually built this engine and ran it last weekend.

First I went to my local Chevrolet dealer and bought a 350 4bolt brand new bare block with main caps, cost $730. I then found a place that sells eagle cranks and bought an eagle steel 3.00 stroke crankshaft and Rods cost was around $900 for both.
The next thing I debated on was heads and pistons, I found a set of .125 283 flat top 4 valve relief pistons on ebay and bought them for $125 you can order JE TRW or any brand you want in standard 302 size but you will pay $400 to $700 for them and I wanted flat top due to compression levels.
I thought about Aluminum heads but went with a set of cast 64 cc 2.02 1.06 with 200 cc runners. $1000.
I took my block, pistons, rods, neutral balancer and flywheel to a GOOD machine shop and had the assembly balanced, cam bearings installed and pistons fitted. $300
I used a comp cams 280 480 cam kit. with double roller chain. installed an edelbrock airgap intake with an avenger series 670 carb. $700
I put everything together and put it on my engine run stand and it is smooth you can tell that it raps up quicker that a 350 and has that sound.
The point I am making is that they don't make the 302 anymore so you engine nuts like me will have to go out there and build your own. Don't do it at one time buy you parts over the course of a year that is basically what I did.
Now here is the problem got a wife that wants to know what are you going to do with it now you built it, our 67 camaro has a 427 in it and I don't want to pull it out.

·
Registered
15,316 Posts
bebo said:
There is alot of talk about building a 302 , from the 327 to 283 crank swap. I set down and put together what it takes to start from scratch. I actually built this engine and ran it last weekend.

First I went to my local Chevrolet dealer and bought a 350 4bolt brand new bare block with main caps, cost $730. I then found a place that sells eagle cranks and bought an eagle steel 3.00 stroke crankshaft and Rods cost was around $900 for both.
The next thing I debated on was heads and pistons, I found a set of .125 283 flat top 4 valve relief pistons on ebay and bought them for $125 you can order JE TRW or any brand you want in standard 302 size but you will pay $400 to $700 for them and I wanted flat top due to compression levels.
I thought about Aluminum heads but went with a set of cast 64 cc 2.02 1.06 with 200 cc runners. $1000.
I took my block, pistons, rods, neutral balancer and flywheel to a GOOD machine shop and had the assembly balanced, cam bearings installed and pistons fitted. $300
I used a comp cams 280 480 cam kit. with double roller chain. installed an edelbrock airgap intake with an avenger series 670 carb. $700
I put everything together and put it on my engine run stand and it is smooth you can tell that it raps up quicker that a 350 and has that sound.
The point I am making is that they don't make the 302 anymore so you engine nuts like me will have to go out there and build your own. Don't do it at one time buy you parts over the course of a year that is basically what I did.
Now here is the problem got a wife that wants to know what are you going to do with it now you built it, our 67 camaro has a 427 in it and I don't want to pull it out.
I'd start shopping for another late 60's Camaro. Update it with a 302, T56, disks all around, etc, etc.

Bogie

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Any engine on the stand will tach faster because there is no load from a torque converter or a heavy flywheel. After you bolt it into something you`ll find it tachs about the same. The fastest taching engine I ever heard was a completely worn out 350 at the drag strip in the early 90`s. The guy took a farm truck 350 with 120,000 hard miles on it that smoked like no tomorrow.
He slapped on a set of good heads, double roller timing set, headers, a good intake, 750 carb, a good sized cam, 3500 stall converter, HEI and a 250 cheater nitrous kit. He dumped it off into a 64 el camino that he also called farm truck that had a 4.56 posi rear and shockingly, it ate many a big blocks and lasted almost 2 seasons before it finally blew. When it did blow it was spectacular, 7 rods gave. Why did it tach so fast? it was so worn out it didn`t have any friction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.