Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to build a chevy 302. Im looking for some advice on which way to go. i know you can take a 327 and put in a 283 crank.but you can also get a 350 and find a larger journal crank.but these cranks are very expensive

If there is somebody that build one could you tell me what you did? or suggest to do.

thanks alot

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Mr.Scitals54 said:
Im looking to build a chevy 302. Im looking for some advice on which way to go. i know you can take a 327 and put in a 283 crank.but you can also get a 350 and find a larger journal crank.but these cranks are very expensive

If there is somebody that build one could you tell me what you did? or suggest to do.

thanks alot
A million years ago, a common build was a "301". 283 punched out to 4" (~0.125"). Pistons w/the correct pin height were common back then, not now.

The later 283's were more likely to take the overbore, the cylinder walls still need to be sonic tested for enough thickness. Recently someone mentioned that block cast number 3789817 was used for both 283 and 327 engines. This might be a good candidate.

Be aware the early, small journal rods had small (11/32") rod bolts. These will need to be replaced w/ARP bolts before the rods are resized. If you happen to find some '67 high performance small journal 327 rods, they will have a beefier build, still 11/32" bolts, though. The rotating assembly will need balanced.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
I ask, why build a 302? If it`s to be authentic in a classic Z28 would be one reason but it wouldn`t be numbers matching. If it`s to race in a class set by cubic inches is another. A high revver drag car perhaps?

·
Registered
960 Posts
There are "hundreds" of posts on this. Pistons are your only real drawback; they will be expensive, and hi-compression only. OR, you can use stock type, flat or domed, 327 or 350 pistons, and use aftermarket rods in the correct lenths to arrive at the proper stack ( stroke, rod lenth, pin height), and you can get them in small or large journal (NOT concidering the 400 short rods and "larger still" journal). You WILL have to deck the block to zero, or 9.000 inches. So, use a small journal 327 block, a 283 crank, deck the block, use a 5.94" rod and 327 pistons, OR a 350 piston with a 5.85" rod. You'll have to balance the rotating assembly. There are other ways to do this using "late" model parts, but you''ll wind up with a cast crank; 350 roller block with the "baby" LT1 rods and a 350 piston. And, there are thicker "spacer" bearings to further mix and match parts. Still, there's no substitue for cubic inches; build a 350 and it'll be cheaper, make more overall usable power, and you'll be happier. But, it's your money.

I see there's a company selling the one piece baby LT1 (265) cranks and rods for cheap on that auction site we all know and love.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.