Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to build a fuel cell for my '90 Astro. Someone told me I need baffles in the tank to keep the feuk from sloshing around. True or not? I've looked in stock fuel tanks before and never seen anything like it.

Also, any tips when building this thing?

Thanks guys.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Fuel cells

Yes there are baffles in stock fuel tanks..they are not visible by lookin in the fill pipe..How do i know we had to cut the tanks open when we scrapped cars...

Building a fuel cell is one thing I would not attempt as they are available from several suppliers at very reasonable cost..And even tho I do have some skills in fabbing stuff I doubt that I could build one that would pass tech at the track..The regular fuel cells that one can purchase have been tested and certified to meet spec and that is what I would put in my car..

Not only is there the passing tech area the cost of a new cell is about what it woudl cost for the materials I would need..

These are my thoughts on this one..

Take care

OMT

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I forgot to mention. It's not going to be used for the track, its because I'll be baggin it this winter and the tank it in the way. The reason I want to build my own is because i can build it to my specs. I have very limited space.

I was thinking of building it out of 18 or 20 guage steal, which would only cost me about 30 dollars Canadian, compared to about 100 Americian for a plastic one.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Design issues (some I can think of)

Just some things that will need to be dealt with..

Fuel sending unit..?? Is there going to be one..??

I think 16 0r 18 gauge..

Fuel sump for the fuel pickup..??

Venting??

Baffle design?? wall it off from the driver passenger compartment..

Capacity..will it be sufficient??

Testing..I would put an air test on the tank to check for leaks..

This can be done..just have to think your way through the task..

Fire is one of the biggest dangers in a car so look at crash protection that sort of thing..

Good luck on your project..

OMT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts