Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Im pretty new at building engines so all info is much appreciated.

I have a 98 vortec 350 and Im wanting to stroke it to a 383. It has a Jims performance harness on it and he told me to use a ram jet cam on it. Is that a good idea? And what will I need to do to use it? And allso what would be a good stroker kit?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Dodgeman7979 said:

I have a 98 vortec 350 and Im wanting to stroke it to a 383. It has a Jims performance harness on it and he told me to use a ram jet cam on it. Is that a good idea? And what will I need to do to use it? And allso what would be a good stroker kit?

Thanks in advance!
GM used the RamJet350 cam in their HT383 crate engines, so yes it will be a good torquey cam. You'll need a Stroker kit for the 1-piece rear main seal block as these are different from the older 2-piece rear main.
Scat has a good quality stroker kit >>> http://www.gofastnews.com/board/tec...cats-drop-383-simple-build-simple-budget.html

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Dodgeman7979 said:

A lot depends on how you plan to use this engine- 4x4 truck, race, DD, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's for a rockcrawler. The only reasen why I ask if the ramjet
is good is the guy that cut my harness and did my comp said he has a good program for the ramjet but what would u use? The rev limiter is set at 6,000 so I won't need a cam for anything higher than 6,000.

Thanks for all the info so far.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
the ramjet cam is basically a stock cam, which is good for basically stock power- no more than about 4500 RPM. The howards cam would produce more tq all the way from idle to redline.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
externally balanced is fine, a cast crank should be adequate, you can reuse your 5.7 rods, hypereutic pistons would be better than forged in this application. I would buy a Scat crank, some Speed Pro or KB pistons, and some ARP rod bolts. Also, you'll need a new balancer and flex plate and you'll ned to have it all balanced when you get all the parts together.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pretty much just rockcrawling Im going to try and make it where I can go to town on Friday night but any rig with 42's is pretty hard to make streatable. It is keeping the same fuel injection it has ben cut down Im just telling you that in case it changes anything and I need something so I can put it in low and crawl the stuff but when I need to I can give it to it and it go

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
short rods tend to do better at low RPMS, but 6" rods make the most power, I'd use 5.7's in this application, but 400 rods or 6" rods may be a hair better in some aspects, a 5.7 would be a good compromise.

hyper pistons, and a Scat crank are about and budget you can go and still be reliable. I'd reuse the rods you have but if you want to buy another set in a kit you can do that. I'd get it balanced by a local machine shop with a good reputation though, you never know how far mail order balancing can be off.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
If you already have a line on a good fueling/ignition map from your guy for using the RJ cam, you might want to start there and see where that takes you.

The Ram Jet cam/383/Vortec head combo makes 435 ft.lbs at 4000 rpm, and over 400 ft.lbs. from 2500 to 4000 rpm. Sounds pretty good to me...

Forget about where the rev limiter is set- they sell chips for whatever RPM is needed. Just because you have a 6K RPM chip doesn't necessarily mean you have to build an engine w/that exact redline.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.