Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any information available (at all), about starting to build a wheelstander project. I am just beginning to look at this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think the common formula is rear motor rear drive with a hole in the floor board to see through, no?

Monster Garage did one out of an ambulance....

Seems straight forward to me, remove as much weight from the front - add as much as you can to the back. You need a fair amount of power and it wouldn't hurt to have seperate rear brakes so you could steer the thing. Front suspension will need some help for when you come crashing down. I'd get a good seat and harness as well.

Sounds like fun - do you have a vehicle in mind?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do ( I think)...

I have a 73 VW Superbeetle that I'm wondering about. I bought it new, and thought that it "might" work, but just not actually sure yet.

I don't know if the original frame can be used, or if a special tubed frame is required.

I guess I best start with NHRA specs just to see what their requirements are on this, and go from there.

I have always been very interested in wheelstanders, and think that it would be a hoot to drive one. I'm thinking a sbc... maybe lightly blown would work and hopefully keep the maintenance to a minimum. Also, getting all of the driveline "stuff" figured out could be fun as well.

Thanks for your reply!

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
Think for a little bit about weight distribution and driveline geometry in your choice and configuration of a platform.

Some famous wheel standers of the past are the Econoline type pickup with a mid-engine, or a fastback Barracuda with a mid-engine (wasn't that the original Hemi Under Glass?). Having the heavy motor closer to the rear wheels makes it easier to lift the nose.

A mid-engine (between the driver and the rear wheels) means either a very short driveshaft or a custom drive line.

One option to consider might be a marine V-drive, with the motor over the rear axle... You could do this in a sedan delivery type vehicle, maybe.

Or you could go more of a funny car route.

The configuration will have a lot to do with how the rest of your project goes so it is worth the extra thought.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Strip all of the interior, get a good bucket seat and 5-point harness, get a decent engine and mount it in the back. What I would do is raise the back up a bit. Put as much weight in the back as you can, Monster Garage put weights in the back of the car to do it. Make sure you have a good front suspension.

What I would do is get a Econoline van with a V8, jan the motor outta there and mount it in the back. Mount it so that the tranny bolts right up to the rear end. Nice think about those vans is that they have an straight axel in the front to. With a little bit of cosmetic work you could make it look like a gasser:D

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would design the engine to be the weight. even as a wheelstander people expect it to go fast, and weighing it down won't help IMO. A Beetle would be very cool, especially if it was made to look mean. You could give it some fangs like Preditor (Monster Truck) and red headlights like Grave Digger. If you really wanted to show off you could put some pipes from under the doors and make it breathe fire!

-Dana

·
Home School Valedictorian
1,639 Posts
I won't say it can't be done with a bug, but I would bet it would be very difficult. They are a very short wheel base, the engine would be close towards the center (front to back), the bug has no frame. It would be a challenge to say the least.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There probably wouldn't be any room for a driver...maybe a jockey!

I played around with the concept last night. What do you think?

Considering a wheelstander is solely for entertainment I put pipes on the side. I don't know if that would work on a rear engine car, but the effect would be very cool.

-Dana
www.*******

1 - 11 of 11 Posts