Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The truck is a 1982 Chevy c10 with stock height.

400 turbo tranny. 3200 stall With a shift kit

.030 vortex 454 generation 6 with a 612 lift cam.

intake is a Holley street dominator

.ceramic coated headers,

msd streetfire distributor,

msd cables,

aluminum 2 row radiator

electric fans

781 heads lightly ported

scorpion roller rockers

all billet pulleys (not serpentine) .

12 bolt has 3.73 gears in it and a posi unit.

850 demon carbu

I'm on some 15" American racing rims

Calvert traction bars on the truck.

Holley electric fuel pump

I’ll put pictures of cam specs and pistons crank and other stuff.... my main goal is to have a pretty fast street truck....That’s it

·
More for Less Racer
20,929 Posts
The one suggestion i would make....
Nothing wrong with the SkipWhite kit, but I would do it as a 496(.060" overbore) or 498" (.070" overbore) stroker. Or 489" if it has to stay at .030" overbore and Skip can set you up with a kit at that size.
Sure, it is $80 more for the stroker, but it would be well worth it.
At 461 cubes and your chosen kit, 781 heads and that pretty gnarly cam, your compression ratio is really on the low side for that cam at barely 9.5:1.....the added cubic inch of the 496" or 498" kit boosts the same 20cc piston dome and 781 head chamber to 10.3:1 or so, which the cam really needs.
Plus the 30 extra cubes is an automatic 40+ more Hp and torque
Net difference between compression ratio raised and added cubes is likely 60-75 Hp better and more responsive on the low end of the rpm scale. Will be more fun to street drive while still hauling when hammered.

Nothing really wrong with your plan, the stroker would just be that much better for just a $80 additional cost if your aren't already committed to a freshly .030" overbore block....if you still have to bore it, the .060" or .070" overbore is not a problem with the BBC block, they will typically go .100"-.125" over without a problem.

That Holley Street Dominator intake, is it a dual plane or a old 1970's era single plane?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The intake is a single plane and unfortunately the engine is already being assembled by my mechanic and the block was bored .030 .... I just don’t want to make a mistake... This is my first time and I am barely learning about engines and I don’t want there to be a downside

·
More for Less Racer
20,929 Posts
No problem with it already machined and going together, it will still run good...the 496 was just a pre-purchsed suggestion upgrade. If the shop is installing the cam, have them put it in at a 104° Intake Lobe Centerline.

I would get rid of the old 70's era Street Dominator, it isn't a very good intake and will hurt power and driveability. i was afraid you were going to say that is what it is.
A modern Weiand Stealth, Performer RPM Oval Port dual plane, Or Professional Products Typhoon dual plane would be good.
If you want a single plane, a Weiand Team G oval port if you can find one(Holley recently discontinued them) or a Holley Strip Dominator Oval port #300-4.

·
More for Less Racer
20,929 Posts
What’s the different between a dual plane and single plane intake
Single plane has short, typically larger diameter port runners all coming into a single large plenum chamber under the carb. Each cylinder can feed from all four barrels of the carb.
Typically more higher rpm oriented, the short runners don't make as good low end torque.
Old single planes from the 1970's are typically not all that great on airflow and mixture distribution, often designed before there was any real airflow bench testing and definately before any Computational Flow Analysis by computer modeling.
They will nearly always be down on power to modern mid and high rise dual planes, and ALWAYS down on power compared to modern single planes....some 1970's and early 1980's street single planes often aren't even as good as a stock cast iron 4 barrel intake....just lighter.
Holley Street Dominator, and Edelbrock Street Master and Torker manifolds fall into this not really good catagory.
Weiand Team G is often considered the best street modern single plane but has been discontinued when Holley bought Weiand, followed by probably the Holley Strip Dominator #300-4, Edelbrock 454-O and Professional Products Hurricane(Speedmaster HiRise and ShootOut appear to be the same intake).
Typical rpm ranges are 3000-7500 rpm

Dual plane has smaller diameter port runners that are quite a bit longer and most cross over other runners to meet up with the plenum on a side opposite the cylinder they feed. Plenum is divided in half, so each cylinder can only feed from 2 barrels of the carb.
Emphasis is on lower end torque at the expense of upper rpm power.
The Edelbrock Performer RPM, Weiand Stealth are a couple good examples of high rise dual planes that work, with rpm ranges typically 1500-6500 rpm

·
More for Less Racer
20,929 Posts
80% street/20% track or less drag use I wouldsay a big dual plane like the Weiand Stealth or Edelbrock Performer RPM.
More track than that but less than 50% I would search for a used or new old stock Weiand Team G oval single plane.
Any more track use than that I'd pick one of the single planes I listed in a post above this one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
80% street/20% track or less drag use I wouldsay a big dual plane like the Weiand Stealth or Edelbrock Performer RPM.
More track than that but less than 50% I would search for a used or new old stock Weiand Team G oval single plane.
Any more track use than that I'd pick one of the single planes I listed in a post above this one.
Have you heard of the Holley sniper efi system?

·
Registered
15,298 Posts
One of the nice things about big blocks is the abundance of torque. Insofar as the street is concerned there is so much torque that the choices of intake, cam and compression become somewhat muted.

On the dyno and certainly the track where the need to run to the front of the pack is necessary for cash and or glory then paying a lot of attention to incorporating the latest and greatest technology becomes strategically important; but on the street, the motor you propose will prove to be a way to put a big grin on your face while puckering your more distant port.

Bogie

·
More for Less Racer
20,929 Posts
Have you heard of the Holley sniper efi system?
Yes, but have not yet used it.
It's just one of several simplicated Throttle body Injection's (TBI) on the market. Last one I worked with was the older Holley Pro-Jection 4 TBI, it left something to be desired but I would assume they have greatly improved the product in 15-20 years since then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.