Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im making my own fender skirts for my 48 chevy, what should i use, 16 or 18 gauge. No one can tell me what gauge the originals were. These were big skirts on the fleetline. I have my pattern made. Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
I have been using alot of 18G around the shop lately. It is easy to form with a wooden hammerform. I think 16 is a bit too thick. (.060" vs .047")Later, mikey

·
boatbob2
1,385 Posts
fender skirts

hi mr wood,when youre finished making the skirts,how about post the how,and some in progress pictures if possible...thank you boatbob2

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok guys, as soon as i get the sheet metal i will start. One thing is that the original skirts wont fit my opening, as i have done some custom work on the fenders, and the oriiginal skirts fit flush inside the opening. The aftermarket skirts fit on the outside of the fender. This means i will have to make a new way to mount the skirts so they fit tight and are easy to take off in case i have a flat. I will post pics as i build ok. I have in my mind how i want to build them, but feel free to jump in with any of your own ideas. I thnk this will be a fun project and cheap to do.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I'd use 18 guage. You might want to play around with a few different shapes to get the desired look you're after, it doesn't have to be round and you could use posterboard or similar for easy mockups. Rolling the edges and getting it to shape then designing the latches is going to take some time. They could also be made out of fiberglass.

·
Shabby chic sheet metalshaper
233 Posts
Are these going to be flat, or are you going to put some compound shape in them? If flat, with a slight roll in one direction, you might want to use the thicker gage (18), but with true compound shape 20 gage should do the trick. How do you plan to shape them? There are several simple methods to shaping that don't require tons of experience.

John

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok have the first one made. I had a friend who had some chrome round moulding of some type, and it fit around my skirt like it was made for it. I forgot to take a photo of my brackets, but will show you on my next one how i did it. I kept this very simple and it came out working great.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts