Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the bed I have on my 63 chevy truck is shot and i have considered not replacing it and makeing into a flat bed any ideas,i have found a 55 chevy 4 door that wont requier alot of work, for 250 dollars, im looking at cleaning it up and selling it, would it be worth my time and effort.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by leroy:
<strong>the bed I have on my 63 chevy truck is shot and i have considered not replacing it and makeing into a flat bed any ideas,i have found a 55 chevy 4 door that wont requier alot of work, for 250 dollars, im looking at cleaning it up and selling it, would it be worth my time and effort.</strong><hr></blockquote>

·
Registered
2 Posts
leroy, I built a simple 4'+8'frame of 2" channel
iron,and 2-1"thick cd plywood sheets,that I painted with enamel paint.you could make fenders
from the measurements of the out-side of your
tires and form the radius of the fenders from your
tire size.It could be formed either square or
rounded.I hope that this helps you with your project.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I needed a bed for my '51- I used cedar 4x4s for the crossmembers, shimmed them as needed to level and covered them with 1x8 rough cut planks the 4 bys got the bed high enough to clear the tires I also added 2x10 to 3 sides It was a simple & cheap bed for years.
I'm now builbing a new finish bed using the stock tailgate & fenders over a cherry, ash and maple side wall & bed combo kind of a retro woodie thing
Hope this helps let me know how you make out
Dave K

1 - 4 of 4 Posts