Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to look around the web at cars for sale and I seem to see a rash of cars that are listed as "recently restored" or in "show condition" with bumpers that are either crooked, rotated up or down, or not recessed properly. A lot of them don't have their hoods aligned properly, and have door and side trim alignment issues, etc.

Now this obviously probably isn't a new issue, but it just seems like I'm seeing it more for some reason...

Maybe I'm being little too critical and there are a lot of variances in the way the cars were built from the factory. But I didn't think they were THAT BAD... Also, if you have the car apart for repaint, wouldn't you then shim and fix those issues right then and there?? Even if you went with a very inexpensive paint job, how much more labor would it cost to just get everything measured, shimmed, and straight?? I know sellers and dealers have tight margins, but I wouldn't buy anything now in this economy that isn't at least perfectly straight body-wise....

The bumper alignment issues really show up in 68-69 Buick GS's and Oldsmobile 442s because the bumpers are a integral part of the overall shape and styling of the car... If the bumpers are rotated or off on these then it looks pretty bad :(

Sorry for the rant, just wondering if I'm imagining things or if others are seeing this as well...

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
It's a common problem and IMO, comes from the inexperienced body-men. It's not that terribly difficult to blow a car apart for paint but putting it back together again can be tough. People look at auction prices and think "I can make a killing", then realize if it's to be done properly, you are going to lose your butt if you don't have the skills to get it done the right way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.