Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
all show, all go with a 383
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chevy nova with a 383 stroker. The motor runs very strong but I'm a little concerned about a thing or two.
First, when I'm on the highway and the motor reaches about 3000 rpms, it starts to emit smoke out of the exhaust. I think it might be oil because everytime I get out of the car then I see a small amount of oil of bumper. Would this be a piston ring or a valve seal? I have run a compression test on all cylinders and all read about the same. When cylinder three plug was removed, it was covered in oil.
Second, I have the four bolts on the side of the covers, has any ever heard of them always failing? I have a set on now with new gaskets and new breathers oil still seems to gets past both gasket and breather grommet.

If you now anything about this please help me I'm getting tired of putting a quart of oil in motor about once a month.

thanks.

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
I was wondering the same thing regarding your second question.

Regarding the oil consumption question, I guess it could be worn rings, valve guides or any combination thereof. It may also be a slipped intake gasket. Yes - it can happen to the best of us. Check out the attached picture.

Sometimes you have to think outside the box. Good luck solving your problem, Ed www.edgesz28.com

Attachments

·
all show, all go with a 383
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm talking about the stamped steel type of valve covers with two bolts on each side. I have heard that they are prone too leaking. Do you know if putting a new gasket like the Moroso perm-align rubber gaskets would help prevent the leaking.
edgesz28, you have a very nice ride. Your engine building problems came in handy.

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
novadan said:
I'm talking about the stamped steel type of valve covers with two bolts on each side. I have heard that they are prone too leaking. Do you know if putting a new gasket like the Moroso perm-align rubber gaskets would help prevent the leaking.
edgesz28, you have a very nice ride. Your engine building problems came in handy.
That is what I figured you meant. Make sure they are not bent first. Be sure you clean everything well. I usually use cork gaskets and permatex the gasket to the cover, leaving the head side dry.

This way if I need to remove them for any reason, the gasket sticks to the cover. Just be sure not to over torque them.

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
novadan said:
I do not know about the Moroso rubber gaskets, but I went with the Fel-Pro #1628 gaskets on my engine. They are worth every penny ($46.95 at Summit). :thumbup: No mess and reusable. They work well with cast aluminum valve covers. I have no experience with them using stamped steel covers. I would think if the covers are straight and you use hold down tabs, they would work just as good as with aluminum covers.

Thanks for the kind words regarding my ride. The truth is that I snapped that picture before the water dried. Makes it look nice and shiny :D

Whenever I have a problem I use forums like this and Google to search for solutions. Sometimes I get lucky and find something useful. This is why I posted my problems. If one person found it useful, it is worth it to me.

I would give the Fel-Pro gaskets a try. If they still leak, then invest in some nice cast aluminum covers to use with the #1628 gaskets. Good luck, Ed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts