Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Violating consensual reality
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One day I hope to put a V8 in my daily driver wagon. A mild 327 would be nice. The house payment and usual bills need to come first so that means I need to look for a good runner. I have my own ideas of what to beware of but am open to hearing yours.

Strummin

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Dont feel bad, we've all been there at one time in our lives. A 327 might be hard to find but obviously an xlnt choice. 327 or 350 first thing I would look for is if the engine has been rebuilt by a competant person with good parts. Then do a compression check, all cyl. should be within 10% of each other. Pull the valve covers to check for crud and sludge build up, pull the dip stick and look at and smell the oil, good indication of how the engine has been maintained. If its still in the car...drive it, look for smoke, engine temp, leaks. If you're not sure take it to someone you trust and have them check it out. If the person thats trying to sell it balks at any of this then walk away and look for another one.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
327's have not been built in a long time so they are abit rare..best deal I think is to find a good runner that is in a car or truck that you can hear run and see if it is smoking or making funny noises..also gives an idea if it was in the hands of someone who may have done the maintenance on it..

You will probably need the tranny as well as some of the other little bits and pieces so it is good to have a donor..

Just my thoughts..

Sam

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
strummin67 said:
One day I hope to put a V8 in my daily driver wagon. A mild 327 would be nice. The house payment and usual bills need to come first so that means I need to look for a good runner. I have my own ideas of what to beware of but am open to hearing yours.

Strummin
looks like you could use some side exhaust on that thing .

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
305s are the cheapest thing out there right now. Around here 350s are getting a little harder to come by, not difficult but a little harder. We have bought decent running 305s for 50 bucks. If you can't hear it run you really need to deal with someone you can trust or it better be real cheap. And even people you can trust may have let one rust up without realizing it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have a complete low mileage 283 out of a 64 Nova sitting in a garage in Vacaville. It is the Nova specific block with everything from carb to pan, less the distributor. It is basically a stock 220hp 283 with a 204/214 RV cam and an Edelbrock 500. I also have the exhaust manifolds and a complete dual exhaust system we cut out of the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.