Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer im going to save up some money to buy some paint, i am looking for a kandy coat green, with metal flakes. were is a good place to order some paint from, me and my brother are going to do the paint ourselves. i also need to know how to patch holes, if there is a good website with pictures, that would be nice. thanks for all your help. :)

[ March 12, 2003: Message edited by: chevyman17 ]</p>

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Candy is nothing for ametures. You have to have exsperience painting before you start with candies. There are alot of do's and don'ts and things to avoid with candies. Candies can be purchased from your local paint shop. If you don't know where one is ask a local bodyshop where they get theirs.

What size are the holes? Where are they? What model and make of vehicle is it? Let me know and I'd be happy to help.

HK

[ March 12, 2003: Message edited by: Halloweenking ]</p>

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would definitly agree with HK. Candy colors are not for the inexperienced painter. I would find a green that is as close a possible to the green you what but in a bc/cc. Then you could add the metallic flakes in a midcoat or in your clear.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The truck i have is a 1969 chevy pickup. the holes im going to try to patch are the three holes on the side of the door, were the mirrors were, i have peep mirrors now. the holes are only about a 1/4 of an inch big, there not very big. and besides a kandy green, is the original color, that would be a green also, i dont know exactly what color it is, but it has some metallic in it. oh ya befor i forget, i am also going to take the trim off the side, and make it a smooth body. i hope that helps you out some.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
No car manufacturer uses candy as a original color. Ford has a paint that is the closest to a candy you can get, but I think its only be used for 8-10 years. The color of your truck originally isn't a candy, its simply a transparent green BC/CC. Candy may have been used as a custom repaint before you got it,but its not original. Like I said if you really plan to use candy get a profesional shop to paint it.

To fill holes like that all you need to do is back the hole with a peice of copper and fill the holes with your MIG welder. do some metal finishing and apply a coat of etchin primer then smooth for the final prime and paint.

HK

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Yes, I agree with HK those hole need to be welded in. You can find the copper in sheets at the craft stores. I don't know if the paint supply store has it. You will somehow need to push the copper sheet onto the hole from the back and shore it in place/ make it so it dosn't move when you strike an arc with the welder. Clean up that hole and remove ALL the rust before hand.

Todd

·
Registered
760 Posts
I'm glad someone else brought up the idea of filling holes. I think I'm ready to undertake this chore...hoping this thread isn't abandoned yet.

When you use copper to fill a hole...the copper isn't welded in place? It's just kind of a cushion?

Also, how big of a hole can you fill using this method? My particular application is a 1957 chevy pickup--the holes to mount the emblems on the fenders...maybe 1/2 inch in diameter...too big to fill like this?

Plug weld? Could you use a piece of metal that is a little bigger than the hole, put it on the backside, and do a plug weld and maybe feed some more wire into it to fill?

Lastly...does anyone have any suggestions for what the welder should be set at for this type of stuff? Just a general idea so I don't spend a week trying to figure it out.

thanks--

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input, i did not mean candy as an original color, i meant candy, or the original. i geuss i should of worded it better huh. well thanks again, peace....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts