Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
'57 Fairlane
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything to check on trans that is out of car, probably no fluid inside? I might have a chance to choose from few transes and I would like to get the best one(s).

·
Registered
734 Posts
udu56 said:
Is there anything to check on trans that is out of car, probably no fluid inside? I might have a chance to choose from few transes and I would like to get the best one(s).
What are you planning on doing with it - drop it and drive - or rebuild?

How much $$ are you talking...A rebuilt TH400 shouldn't be more than 1200+ total depending on the work needed and who does it.

It's hard to do much of anything but a cursory visual inspection without tearing the thing apart.

If there is fluid or remants of fluid - smell it to see if it's got any hint of being burnt...you'll know if it is!

Make sure the case isn't cracked as it won't be worth rebuilding (problem I had with my old one)

I dont really know of anything else other than being able to drive it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
hello

were are you from i have a rebuilt 400 with less than 3000 miles on it i am in pa and would give u a great deal on it $300.00 and yes it is a good one

·
'57 Fairlane
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are talking about prices like 20-30$ each. Of course I wouldn't just drop it in, there must be a reason why they are lying around. Just that some might be better than others.

·
Registered
734 Posts
udu56 said:
We are talking about prices like 20-30$ each. Of course I wouldn't just drop it in, there must be a reason why they are lying around. Just that some might be better than others.
If the cases look good - for that price I'd pick them all up...a good TH400 case is worth more than that...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts