Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, a buddy of mine is having hard times finding a "faster" ratio for his truck, axle is an old Eaton HO72 . ring and pinion ratio is now 4.56:1, doing a research on the web we found a 4.10: wich is fairly good but we also found a 3.90:1 (wich would be great) early version wich apparently was available in the '60 era and very hard to find nowadays, please tell us if you know where to find them.
Trukc is an awesome and freshly restored Chevy C20!
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,719 Posts
The problem with the unpopular rear ends is that there are no after market parts for them, and most of the original parts have been scrapped years ago. Good luck with your search. There are a few people out there that might have what you are looking for, but finding them might take a while. Those old trucks were geared for low speed pulling power, not modern highway speeds.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem with the unpopular rear ends is that there are no after market parts for them, and most of the original parts have been scrapped years ago. Good luck with your search. There are a few people out there that might have what you are looking for, but finding them might take a while. Those old trucks were geared for low speed pulling power, not modern highway speeds.
Indeed, hope some of them will read this, thank you .

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Three years ago I spent months trying to find parts for a 67 C20 rear. The only source I found was the bone yard. The bearings and races had to be purchased separately and they weren't cheap either.

I did have some luck at the bone yard though. I found that if the donor vehicle was a straight six then the rear was usually in good condition - 4.56 and 4.10's only.

Good luck - Jim

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Try Randy,s Ring & Pinion they may have your parts..

Sam

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Three years ago I spent months trying to find parts for a 67 C20 rear. The only source I found was the bone yard. The bearings and races had to be purchased separately and they weren't cheap either.

I did have some luck at the bone yard though. I found that if the donor vehicle was a straight six then the rear was usually in good condition - 4.56 and 4.10's only.

Good luck - Jim
Try Randy,s Ring & Pinion they may have your parts..

Sam
thanx guys, unfortunately we do live in the old stinky italian boot so there's no way to find a truck like that at the junkyard, Randy's was my first try but seems that they have nothing but bearings and seals for the Eaton, even Yukon doesn't make spare ring and pinions...

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Well shucks.. The next step is to go on car-part.com and see if you can find a later interchange rear with a good gear ratio in it. Been there done that on the older stuff..

Sam

·
Differential/Driveline
1,782 Posts
I have stashed a bunch of parts for that H0 diff and yes they are getting hard to find and expensive. If you found a 390 gear set that would be a good find as they're almost all gone. All I have found in the last 15 or so years is 410 and 456.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts