Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Flathead Freak
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody still make a kit to install the 'vette rear in a fat Ford frame? It looks to have been discontinued in favor of a C4. I have the complete rear frame section from the 'vette, & was considering grafting that to the '40 frame, but mounting it to the stock frame makes the body installation easier. Or, has anyone made their own mounts & have pictures? Thanks

·
Registered
579 Posts
No help here. I think those are considered to be pretty obsoleted by the newer ones. As you say the stock (Corvette) frame section would be a tough fit, but maybe best.

Still a cool idea. There's gotta be a way...

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
If you have the whole C3 rear frame, then it's a lot easier. Not sure I'd use the whole frame, but certainly use the center section, just enough to have all the brackets needed to hang the Corvette suspension. Whether you adapt the stock frame after the axle, or simply cut out the frame to accept and adapt the C3 portion, and then reattach the stock frame behind that. Grafting in the section of C3 frame is not all that hard, even without a custom crossmember available to use. I see some people using enough frame to retain the trailing arm mounts, while others use less and fabricate new trailing arm mounts on the stock frame. I'd probably try to retain as much frame as possible, to include trailing arm mounts.

·
Flathead Freak
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was considering that. Basically, cutting out the section of the 'Vette frame that the axle bolts to, & replacing that same section of the '40 frame. Using the rear portion of the stock frame to keep fuel tank & bumper mounts. The stock floor would have to be modified to fit the new frame section also. It may be wiser to fabricate mounts on the original, than to do all of that cutting, welding, & fitting. Then, I think any track width adjustments would be easier as well, by shortening the shafts, etc. There used to be a kit for this (Progressive?), but it is outdated. Updating to a newer axle isn't going to happen. If I was going to change the plan, I'd hang a 9" on a triangulated 4 link, or something like that. I have this rear, bought years ago for this project. Just getting around to trying to put it together. Thanks for the input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts