Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked online on here and am a bit confused to be honest. I have the metal tag on the side of the servo and the top line reads PEE AK3
The bottom line reads D2DPD AA2
The bottome line is the only thing i was able to get any info off of. All im looking to find out is what year this trans is so i can get a rebuild kit and shift kit for it. I was told it come out of a 70 somthing mavrick. Any one could help that be great

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im sure its a 70's tranny but not sure if its a 72 or 75 is what i found so far. The thing is they have a shift kit for a 70-72 and then a 73-75 so i cant buy anything till i got a better handle on what year it is

·
Administrator
10,126 Posts
Does this trans have a push in or thread in modulator?

The rebuild kits I use fit 1970 - 81...

Shift kits from TransGo , I would suggest a 40-2 for performance use. that kit fits 1970 & up transmissions

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the rebuild kit is for a 70 and up and the shift kit i found says 70 up but then looking around for the best price same company says that they have numerous kits from 70 to 72 then another kit for 73 to 75 didn't make sense to me. What kits do u recomend for a good solid rebuild. Its being hooked up to a 90's 302/5.0L motor bone stock, most upgrades if u consider them that would be hei distribitor, intake manifold, carb, and headers

·
Administrator
10,126 Posts
You will need to worry more about the clutch drums inside.

Ford built the drums with low clutch pack count in many low HP applications.

Disassembly of the trans will answer the clutch drum questions. You want at least drums with 4 frictions per drum for a V8 application.

A "B" servo or "H" works well for second gear band.. An "A" servo is good too. The servo is on side of case = 4 bolts hold it on. It is front servo , near bell housing. Large letter cast into the servo cover

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ill have to check the clutch pacs. It has a B servo i took a look at the servo to try to see if there was numbers when i started the search. Any kit suggestions on what to use would be great.

·
Administrator
10,126 Posts
watch the contents of the kits RE: bushing kits , sealing rings.. most online folks sell the smae parts packaged differently.

cliky here

OEM type frictions work well in a mild build up. I see no need for red race frictions and kolene steels

·
Registered
761 Posts
49fordp/u said:
I looked online on here and am a bit confused to be honest. I have the metal tag on the side of the servo and the top line reads PEE AK3
The bottom line reads D2DPD AA2
The bottome line is the only thing i was able to get any info off of. All im looking to find out is what year this trans is so i can get a rebuild kit and shift kit for it. I was told it come out of a 70 somthing mavrick. Any one could help that be great
If this is the correct tag for the transmission, it should be a 1972 with the Ford service number being D2DZ-7000-D.

Late input, 9-bolt valve body, screw-in modulator, pump mount bell (Probably C5OP-7976-A), and 7 tooth speedo is what it should be.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
49fordp/u said:
alright the modulator is a screw in so im thinking its a 72 tranny. When i go to buy everything these parts will do the job right?

rebuild kit

shift kit
Yes, those should work but, make sure it comes with the correct Modulator.
The Deluxe kits you linked to in your earlier thread from NorthernAuto were much cheaper. They may be able to order the TransGo #40-2 Valve Body Reprogramming Kit.

·
Administrator
10,126 Posts
yes, check contents included in these kits.

needed additional parts can add up to $$ quickly.

Rear band is often reused, I would suggest a fresh front (2nd gear) band.

watch modulator design , thread or push in.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
this is what the kit includes:Transtech paper and rubber kit with sealing rings, seals, new steels (not tumbled) and Raybestos friction clutches, adjustable modulator, front band, filter and popular bushings and washers.

ill look into the second gear band but so far this seems like it would do the trick. The tranny i have was a good working one when i bought it i just dont want to put it in and get almost finished with my project to find out it has to come out and be rebuilt. Been there done that, it sucks big time

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.