Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Tenacious D Rocks!!!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend has a '78 caddy with a 425, all stock. the problem is it accelerates like my '86 Jeep Cherokee Laredo(not good)it barely gets to 30mph floored from stop sign to stop sign. i was wondering WHY? would rebuilding the carb, transmission, or engine tune up cure the problem or is this just a crappy Cadillac motor thing? David

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is It still in the Caddy? The Answer may lie in Highway Gears installed in The Caddy. Once the Engine is out, and freshend up, installed in a Vehicle with Low Gears, I mean 3.73- 4.10- 4.56, it will Accelerate alot faster.

The Caddys had High Gears, for gas Mileage.

·
Registered
87 Posts
first of all there is no such thing as a crappy caddy motor thing (unless it is an 8-6-4 engine) my coupe does quite well with its 368 (w/8-6-4 disabled) th400 and hiway gears. sounds to me like your buddy's car aint seen a tuneup in a long while (shame on both of ya)and dont forget the fuel filter,air filter, oil change, and a couple of bottles of carb cleaner in the next tank of fuel will also help.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm with Critter. Somebody who knows what they are doing should have a look under that big long piece of sheetmetal.

425ci will put out a lot of torque and not care what the gear ratio is. Cad motors are known for torque

1 - 4 of 4 Posts