Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I have a '78 Cadillac 425 that I am looking to put into a ratrod project, does anyone know what is most restrictive on these engines? I've heard many people say intake is the bottleneck - trying to find one of those. Caddy performance parts are a little hard to find :)

Any advice would be appreciated!
-Aaron

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey there,

I have a '78 Cadillac 425 that I am looking to put into a ratrod project, does anyone know what is most restrictive on these engines? I've heard many people say intake is the bottleneck - trying to find one of those. Caddy performance parts are a little hard to find :)

Any advice would be appreciated!
-Aaron

I'm planning to build a high compression 425 and I've read that intake is one of the big issues on this engine, maybe change it to an 472 aluminum intake will improve some numbers, even better with a cam change

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I would just look for a 472 or 500. A 425 can be built. But you can find a entire 75 or 76 car with a hei 500 and th400 for around $800 with lines that are rusted through.

Easily have 300hp and 350 ft lbs out the gate. Oh yeah high nickle block it weighs 700 wet&dressed. You can turn the 350 number into 500ft lbs with some modified heads, a few points of compression, and few oiling mods.

There is plenty of aftermarket for the 472/500. Cadillac is not cheap. But that 500ft lbs can be done using things people have done for years.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Main restriction is the valve train... I am building a 472 and replaced the rockers with the shaft mounted aftermarket rockers. Other than that headers and an Edelbrock performer manifold..As far as expense other than the pistons the price of a rebuild is about the same as another V-8

Sam

1 - 7 of 7 Posts