Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
Bubbas Garage said:
Hey, my dad has a 1948 cadillac hearse witha 346 cubic inch 150 horsepower cadillac flathead, it overheats to about 240 all the time, what can we try to get it not so hot?
Check that old flathead for blown head gaskets, cracked block or cracked head(s).

Check coolant level in the radiator.

Check water pumps for flow or leakage.

That vehicle did not have an aluminum radiator originally. Is the capacity of the radiator being used now of the correct size?

Replace the thermostats.

Use the correct radiator cap.

Check radiator hoses to see that they are not collapsing.

Check the timing. If it is retarded, the engine will run hot very quickly after initial startup. Usually within 10 minutes or so.

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
Bubbas Garage said:
Hey, my dad has a 1948 cadillac hearse witha 346 cubic inch 150 horsepower cadillac flathead, it overheats to about 240 all the time, what can we try to get it not so hot?
Is this engine the same one that is listed in the chopped Model 'A' coupe you have listed For Sale, or is it a different engine and still in the Caddy hearse as stated above?

My reason for asking is concerning the air flow across the fins of the radiator if in the hearse.

Things to look at would be the same as I posted above.

You posted that the engine had been overhauled. If the bore has been increased very much, this can contribute to running hot due to the thinning of the walls between cylinders.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one i am talking about is in the cadillac hearse, i think personally, that it might be cause it weighs 7,000 pounds, i also have a 1947 cadillac ambulance, and when we got it it has a temp guage so maybe they were so heavy and hard to pull they ran hard, the coupe runs at a really good temp, and is really light

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.