Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again all those of you smart hot rod guys,
My 39's steering wheel creates muscle strain and heart palpitations during parking lot maneuvers. So I went to Warhoops and gave them $$$ for a complete power steering guts, soup to nuts, horn button to pitman arm, pump, pulley, brackets, hoses, dirt, grime, bird droppings etc. The parts are out of a long dead 1955 Cadillac, a green four door. I need these things to work once I force them into my 39. Since you guys do magic things every day, I'm asking you all for some links to power steering info. Not stuff like where to buy a bracket. I can make a bracket. What I need is how to avoid blowing up my pump because I forgot to drain the glot-cluster-trigger or other technical type trick, that everybody knows who has morphed a hydraulic power something together from junk parts....knows. Anybody know where I can see an exploded diagram of a 55 Caddy power steering system?? I've hunted the web till my mouse got sore and I can't find any.

So, thanks a?

R

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm stuck all ready

I got the horn rim off now. (Sneaky little allen screws from the back side. Did not strip the pot metal threads, yah!)

Got the huge 1.25" nut off that lets the steering wheel fall off.

But the wheel is super stuck on still. I hacked a puller out of junk and put some pressure on the steering shaft. But, there is a brass thing and an insulating washer deal....something to make the horn work...I'm squishing it with my puller.

Since the big nut covers up the puller holes, I cant push on that with my ram. I'm forced to ram the little bitty brass deal.

Should I heat the hub a bit? I don't want to melt my beautiful wheel plastic stuff!

Anybody! Got a wheel removal trick? Hello? You out there?

What's inside the steering shaft? My shifter is stuck solid too....I don't need it to shift, but it would be nice to have it work as a conversation piece.

R

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah-hah!

Check this out! There is a diagram of the column I found at the Cadillac bbs place....somebody mentioned this site above.....

http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/

I lost the specific link, but here's the diagram(s)....kind of small, but it shows the parts exploded so I can kind of see what I'm trying to take apart.

Maybe somebody else needs it? So here it is.....I included the destructions, what there is of them.

R

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.