Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I must be overlooking something, I purchased a disk brake kit from ECI. Its a chevelle 11 1/2 rotor and caliper, when I tighter the caliper bolt down the rotor gets so tight you can hardly move it at all. I've looked and it from several different ways, tried spacers etc. still no luck. Do I have some bad calipers or ? Thanks for any help, RT.

·
Registered
71 Posts
caliper

is that with the brake pads in or not? is the top of the caliper hitting the rotor? does the caliper need 'spacing out' a bit?

·
Registered
4 Posts
make sure the piston on your brakes is pushed back in, if this is a brand new kit it should already be pushed in but you never know. however if the brakes have been used before you need to push the piston back in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
caliper

Hi, thanks for the reply, when you talk about spacing it out, where would the spacer go? Would it go between the caliper and the caliper bracket? on the outside and inside both? thanks, RT

·
Registered
71 Posts
caliper

without seeing it i can only offer the following;
theoretically the disc rotor should sit approximately in the middle of the caliper once the caliper is attached so put the spacer wherever you need to to achieve this. Make sure your bolts are long enough though.

·
Registered
676 Posts
HEY STAR:

For what is worth..I purchased a front disc conversion kit from ECI and the rotors were not machined correctly. I had to return them and they did replace.. but still a hassle. The thing I did not like was their oil seal is not a standard size and must be pressed in by a machine shop...What do you do if it breaks down on the road????:mad: ...DAVE

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
calipers

Hi, thanks for all the info and help, the whole web sight needs a big thank you for people helping people who are in this hobby and love cars. I found my problem, the disk was out and I used a piece of wood and a clamp and pushed it back in, works fine. I just could'nt see it at first. I talked to ECI about the grease seal and they said they would machine the rotors out to accept a standard seal ($35) or you could have it done at a local shop. I purchased a extra set of seals and I put them in myself, just used a piece of flat steel and went around very carefully and they went it fine, Happy Holidays to all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts