Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Got Ouzo for touzo
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've been holding off on this question because I thought it was a dumb one. But I have reached the point where I just gotta know.

I have a nice set of Wilwood calipers on my S10, but they're showing wear, after 5-6 years. I don't want to buy new ones because this truck only drives 4 months a year (so they're still good). And nothing looks worse than staring at a nice set of wheels, and spotting ugly calipers, or drums.

Can they be refinished? I have a bead blast cabinet, but realize the sand gets everywhere you don't want it. Can I tape off brake line hloes ant sand blast them?

Any help would be appreciated.

bonuts

·
Got Ouzo for touzo
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well polishing would be a great idea, but you gotta get rid of all the junk first.... Right. I'm basically asking about cleaning them up, from there I can handle it.

bonuts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Have you sprayed them down with brake clean and a wire brush !!

·
Registered
74 Posts
bonuts,

Have you thought about using cork? Plug the places where you don't want "stuff".

I've done this on a lot of my Harley stuff and have made out fine. Just try not to blast the cork to hard when you get to and wash everything out.

Then you can polish, paint, and you will shine!

Pappy

·
Administrator
18,433 Posts
At work, we have a cabinet that we use a plastic media.............works great on aluminum. Would probably work good on those too, but like said, the openings would have to be well sealed.

·
Got Ouzo for touzo
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Pappy, I thought I could indeed snadblast 'em. Just wanted to hear I'm not going to ruin them, if I properly plug the holes.

Poncho, if you would have said something like that last post... I don't know..... SAY FIRST! I would take you seriously, but keep on padding that post count eh. Telling me to paint them seems pretty obvious don't you think? I did say I wanted to refinish them, that would probably mean I'll paint 'em. What I was asking was how to clean them up.

bonuts

·
Administrator
18,433 Posts
Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse meeeeeeeeeee....

Most people don't bother painting them. Didn't know if you had thought of that.

The media blaster was an after thought, excuse me for not thinking of everthing at once.

Hey look, another post for me..............................

1 - 11 of 11 Posts