Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys i have a few questions for you guys. First of all, I'm not the most knowledgeable person about Chevy 350's, I'd just like to pick some of your brains about this, because I know the knowledge on this site is unbelievable. The car is a 67' camaro.

First of all the 350 I have is bored .040 over, the previous owner said it was 11:1 compression and 4bolt main. It has a comp-cams .507/.507 lift 292/292 duration. Comp-cams #12-213-3. The heads don't look like anything special, I haven't pulled the valve covers.
It has a Demon 630cfm 4 barrel street demon carb and roller rockers.

I haven't really reved this motor up, only to about 4,000rpm. It seems to be making alot of power. The previous owner said it was 400hp, although I don't know, the car really seems pull great once you rev to 3,000ish.

1)How high can I safely rev this engine and it stay together? 5500-6000ish?? Whats the safe-zone usually on an uknown engine. Or can you guys give me an approximate redline from these specs???

2) Lastly, the car has 3.73 gears and a muncie m21 tranny, hooker super comp long tubes and a world products dual plane intake. What do you think this car would do in a 1/4 mile roughly.

·
Registered
585 Posts
as far as RPM, I'd keep it 5000 or under til I drove it a little while and let it prove it's self especially if you aren't going to go inside of it right now. Most any 350 can handle that even in stock trim. Once you determine that it is in all likely hood going to stand up 6500 should be no problem. If you change over to a roller cam and rockers you should be able to far exceed that. Any body familar with rev limits on a roller motor?? I've not done one so I can't Quote you a number. Brian

·
Registered
9 Posts
small block revs

I regularly do over 7000 with my 350 ,and its only a mild one . however I keep breaking transmissions. I m not sure whats inside it apart from straight cut gear drive. One day I'll have to pull it apart to see! :cool:

·
Buick Hybrid Guy.
255 Posts
I'd call or e-mail Comp Cams for the exact discription of that cam's operation limits (Low/High) rev range. It sounds like a flat tappet cam with mild single patten grind. I'd guess it'd be out of steam in the 53-5700 range. Reving it past that would not be benificial. Heads would be a large improvement in the future. Edelbrock ect make great heads.
Depending on rear gear id expect it to run low 14's to mid 13's with that setup.
:thumbup: Scott~

·
Buick Hybrid Guy.
255 Posts
Looks like it's setup for a 106LCA which will detract from bottom end power with that CID. (4spd helps it though) The stock heads are not going to help the mid to top end power that cam's designed for.
If your going to stick with the stock heads and (small)duel plane intake you might be better with a different grind.
Somthing with 110-114 LCA (good vaccume) Power range in the 2000-5500
Lift in the 480-520 range should work with the existing springs.

Or change the heads and intake to better match that cam. More expensive but would make more power than the heads/intake with a 4spd and 3:73's.
(Performer RPM heads/Vortec style heads and Duel plane intake)
I think it'll realy come alive with changing heads/intake~!

I bet it's more of a pooch off the line and then tends to come on till about 5-5500 where the restrictive heads/intake drop it short again.

Trying to help... not being critcal.. hard to tell when posting stuff for information the tone of what people are saying.. And I don't know ALL the information about your car and your overall goal with power/drivability.

:thumbup: Scott~

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for some of the info that you have all chimed in, i myself don't know much about this engine so any info helps. Thanks scott for that advice, I might go that route in the future, you guys really know your stuff. :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.