Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to build up my 4L60E. i don't know how far i want to go with it, yet.
its going to be a complete build of a trans that does not yet have a problem. its a stock trans, and i know its not going to last at my power levels. what i'm looking for, is a list of some sort, that will tell me = this part fix's this problem, this part is for this power level, things like that. i googled, and got some info. but from experience, i know that searching doesn't always tell the whole story.
thats why i'm asking.

thanx for any good info :thumbup:

·
Registered
685 Posts
calling all 4l60E pro's

The problem areas for any 4l60e are- sungear shell,3-4 clutchs,rear planetary,plastic accumulator pistons. To some degree-input sprag and front planetary.

Lots of horsepower,lots of torque,the input clutch drum[aluminum] will crack where the input shaft splines into it.

Thrust goes to rear of trans under load,small bearing in rear planetary will fail,small diameter needles spin to fast[suck up lube] this burns up rear gear train,even the updated 5 pinion rear planetary fails,same small bearing,not enough bearing area[volume]to handle much torque.

The pwm lockup system is brutal on valve body,if your 4l60e has pwm,transgo performance kit fixes this,good choice anyway for any 4l60e.

A bearing kit would be a wise choice,if you don't update the front planet check the bearing inside planet carefully,if it fails, lube fails.

Then you need a good 2-4 band,correct size servo,don't take any chances on parts if you have over 400 hp,or that much torque.Hope this helps!

·
Registered
576 Posts
4l60

this trans have gone though many changes since it first hit the market in 1981, and yes some good and some bad. the most popular post on this board it seems, I have seen some unit's with over 200,000 miles before they
need rebuild. many post deal with what fails at what you can do to stop the failure from reoccurring again . one thing is for sure horse power will kill this transmission no matter what you install. 400 horse power is in my opinion is the top of the scale for failure, parts break clutch plates burn and band will tear apart. I'm sure this will raise a few eyebrow's but when this is the most popular trans I have every rebuilt in my shop I have seen it all and keep picture's like crosley to document what the failures are.
planets, sun shell, and input drum fail and many companies sell what they claim will fix your broken parts for ever but give me a full day and I could break every part they build .
big tires and an nut between the steering wheel and the seat is what I have seen ruin many a good transmission repair.

and that's only one man's view (point counter point) LOL

·
Administrator
9,765 Posts
only one after market part that I have not seen fail.... the Beast drive shell.

With a fixture to support the drive shell to press the ring gear shaft out of the sun gear to get at the Beast shell......... and reused the shell , it was fine with a new thrust washer.

We have some cryogenic treated parts out in 4L60 trannys for testing. No broken trannys , yet.

We have not tested any of the 300M metal shafts that are available for these 4L60 / 60E /65E / 70E trannys.

Had a 4L65E I built ( 2 yrs ago) in a 2004 Denali AWD with 6.0 liter & a magnacharger come back into the shop ...... from the output shaft to the input shaft the trans was junk/broken/busted. Only the reverse input drum was saved after I machined off the back end of the stator to remove it..... it was sorta funny, the drum still spun freely on the stator with my patented torrington bearing setup, but the pump & stator were junk.

:cool:

Vortec 4.3 .... buy the best parts your wallet afford IF you want to beat on the trans and your vehicle has good traction.

:cool:

·
Registered
685 Posts
calling all 4l60e pro's

Just so you don't get discouraged,we tested a rear planetary that we developed,in a car that had well over 500hp. I asked him to thrash it as much as possible. He did.

After about a year and half we pulled it back out,the trans was fine,no broken parts,he still drives it today[almost two years this time].

As mentioned,this trans has limitations,they all do, lots of torque and horsepower,good traction and a wild disposition will eventually do it in.

A little common sense goes a long way with the 4l60e.

When you consider the advantages this trans offers,compared to a 3 speed,it's certainly worth making a few concessions with.Good luck!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx guys. i most definatly hot rod my truck. but i can't say that i "beat" on it.
the stock trans w/3000stall & vette servo, is holding up just fine, for now. if that tells ya anything.

i have a source for parts, what i believe is below wholesale. so i'm ready to drop a few bucks into it.

when you guys say "we", what do you mean ? a performance trans shop ?

i will be posting back here, when i get the ball rolling. to see what you guys thing i should do.

·
Administrator
9,765 Posts
Vortech 4.3 said:
when you guys say "we", what do you mean ? a performance trans shop ?

when I post 'we' .....

I am speaking of the shop I work for. That is Hughes Performance in Arizona.

·
Registered
99 Posts
After a few 700r4 failures, some of which only lasted 50 miles - I have now arrived at a combination thats lasted over a year on my 4000lb 4x4 - with a low-boost twin turbo 350 chevy and 35" mud tyres.
Basicly i used 8 plate alto clutch pack, which has full thickness steels (the 9 plate design is too thin), torque drive drum, beast shell, std width carbon band, 5 pin planetaries, .500 boost valve, stronger PR spring, transgo seperator plate.

I think the thing that makes the 3-4 clutch pack last longer is the .500 boost valve with the stronger PR spring - this seems to bring the line pressure up faster and higher which in a forced induction engine is important. I see about 150psi line pressure around 1/3 - 1/2 throttle rising to ~230psi at WOT.

Eliot
www.mez.co.uk

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:welcome: i am gathering parts now.

i have, so far :

Beast shell
kevlar (or is that carbon fibre ?) band
seal kit
teflon pump bushing

what few parts should i get next ? thanx

·
Registered
49 Posts
briscoe said:
Just so you don't get discouraged,we tested a rear planetary that we developed,in a car that had well over 500hp. I asked him to thrash it as much as possible. He did.

Should you ever need a guy to beat one of your units in the name of testing and research. Please don't hesitate to ship me your best effort 4L60's

LOL Billy

·
Registered
685 Posts
Billy thank you for your generous offer, [ to thrash one of my units ]. :thumbup:

Your not that far away, I may keep that in mind.

·
"Gettin High On Boost"
44 Posts
Recommended parts

Hey Jess,these were the parts I was recommended to beef up my trans.
1.reinforced input drum w/cryo
2.4L70E reaction shaft w/cryo
3.beast sun gear shell
4.borg warner high energy clutches
5.bonded pistons
6.Transgo HD2 kit for 4L60E
7.reinforced 4L70E sprag
8.billet 4th servo
9.corvette servo
10.raybestos power band
That should be good for up to 500hp.
PEACE OUT>Tony