Hot Rod Forum banner

calling all goat herders

756 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  hemirods 
#1 ·
i've always wanted one and have a couple [ponchos,that is]what engine is more responsive to h.p. quests?the 69 400's or 70 455's.what about out of the box?which can stand more overbore,what stroker mods. available?i'm looking at a 69 judge v.s. a 70 with 455 and a4 speed.thanks for your knowledge and opinions!jimm

#2 ·
the 455 is probably better overall, I would check
block I.D numbers to see if your 455 your interested in is a 4-bolt main block, not all 455 had 4-bolt mains, also only a hand full of 400 had 4-bolt mains you can check this also by I.D. front of block below head, side of water pump.I like the 69's I've had 3,I've got firebirds now
428 in my convertible. I think as far as a pontiac motor goes the safest rebuild is 4-bolt.
balancing recip. align hone,port match intake.I like feeling the pull through the gears.Good luck
Wish I still had one of my 69s

#3 ·
pontiacman,howdy!right up front, i dont know anything about pontiac engines!so, a steep learning curve is inevitable! 428? what that?big block?tell me things!for instance, what would be a good blueprint for building ahot,hot 455, 428? my gray cells dedicated to this area are practically nonexistent!so..., when you are bored , tutor me !preciate it, jimm

#4 ·
welcome Jimmm, I'll look back through my library of Hi-Performance Pontiac Mag.-17 years worth,My
428 is out of 69 Grand Prix. It has factory cast
iron headers, a 71 455 aluminum intake polished
and the big quadrajet. I think it 850. it's the original quadrajet for the 71-455 HO.armasteel crankshaft. This motor has history! We have a ice-cream co. here called Wilcoxon's. This guy used to race. he raced this Grand.Prix.3900lbs
auto.14.2ET. My conv. bird is 3550lbs, 4-speed. 355 limited slip.Man does the sound get to you
when you open-up the secondaries.The cast iron headers make for a sound so uneek.almost scarie torque. Anyway you got me going, look forward to sharing information. I can ref. motor I.d. numbers if you get them. Actually they are letters
like WT for the 69 or XY. let me know. welcome this is a great place to wind down with

#6 ·

bigger is usually better
its cheaper to build a larger cubic inch than a stroker motor
i have a 57 pontiac with a 455 and 69 /48 heads and about to install 66 tripower
all pontiac v8 from 55 to 79 use the same basic block
check out wallace racing for specs on interchange of heads etc and gaskets

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.